My New Tube Anemone

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I've got him sitting in a 2" pvc tube buried halfway in the sand.
Think he will burrow himself in there or do I need to cover his tube myself?

915208316_tH9Lc-O.jpg

915208297_QsRTo-O.jpg

Ummm you bought one of those? They are voracious fish eaters. Like, super aggressive. It's very pretty, but you should bury its tube for it. Good luck.

Ummm you bought one of those? They are voracious fish eaters. Like, super aggressive. It's very pretty, but you should bury its tube for it. Good luck.

I read that was a way over hyped and that it's really not that aggressive. Carpet anemone's are much worse.

I don't know if I would take the word of one guy saying in his experience they're not aggressive over every other thing I've read and seen about them... My LFS used to have to keep tube anemones in their own tank because when they tried keeping them with clowns and the other anemones, the clowns kept getting eaten. He said he wasn't able to sell them because people would buy them and bring them back to the store angry when they'd catch them eating their fish.

Last edited:
Congrats,they are pretty!Aren't they non-photosynthetic?

Thanks for the linked.I learned something new everyday.They aren't even true anemones.

Aren't they non-photosynthetic?

Ya, they have to be fed frequently and supposedly are nocturnal but so far he's been out all day. But i did shove him in behind one of my tall sponges kinda under some rock. Not really a cave but a bit of a recess, so he shouldn't be getting much direct light.

I have a tube anenome in my tank and he has never bothered my fish,
I have him buried in an area where he can go under for shade and out for light if it wants to ......he is tucked in for most of the day and comes out around 5 and stays out all night. they are not very fond of direct light and will sluff their tubes if they are not able to get shade.....

I spot feed him just after the lights go out by using a turky baster and squirting it right by him not directly cause he tucks in if I do and I will give him a half a sardine every other night or other meaty food stuff

he is pretty good luck with him

Last edited:
Those Tube Anemones are cool.We sale em at the LFS sometimes.
While they will eat any fish that gets close enough to get snaired,most fish tend to stay away from em.

I think he ate some mysis last night. I'm not used to spot feeding things. lol

But this morning all my fish were still alive! :D

Back