My numbers don't make sense!

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Ok, so I take my water to my LFS today. I was going to get the guy to test my water. He pulls out the same dip strips I've been using at home. So, I bought the only test kit they had which is an Instant Ocean "Ocean Master" test kit. My pH was 8.2, I couldn't get an amonia reading, my Nitrate test was less than 10 (the lowest number on the chip), my Alkalinity Test was 1.5? which isn't an option. I couldn't get a Nitrite reading. What's up? I've followed the directions faithfully, my husband the scientist double checked everything. Is my water really all that horrible? Thanks,

Catherine:frustrat:

I would try the alk test over. Even Dhk that would be low. Where do you live in WI. Are you coming to the MARS frag swap in feburary.

Ok, I did the alk test over and this time I got 3. I guess I'm re-doing all the tests. Is 3 good?

I don't know what a MARS is (other than the planet) and I don't have any corals yet. Would love to go though.

Catherine

Thanks, yote, I ran the tests again and got the same readings. Then I read in my Coral book what these numbers mean. This is so cool!

Catherine

Invest in some salifert or other good quality tests when you get a chance/money....start shopping online, best deals are found there. Alk is measured a few ways, 3 is good if the units are meq/l, its really bad if the units are dKH

Thanks for clearing that up Melonbob. In dkh unit's you want to shoot for a least 7 with your Alk. Nitrates, are not really that much of a concern if you can keep them at or below 10. Nitrites & Ammo are the one's you want at zero or close to it. But none of this matter's really if your SG isn't correct. You need to shoot for a SG. of at least 1.023. I keep my SG at 1.026 but that's my preferance. Everything needs to be close for the ions to balance out.

It's neat when you get it figured out like you did. :)

Side note: Salifert set's there test kits to be used at 1.026.5 or 35ppt. So I've been told, I don't know this for a fact. Just thought I'd pass it on.

Last edited:
2.5-2.9meg/L(8dKH) is approximate level of natural seawater.Catherine,I suspect that 3you gave was in meg/L.You wouldn't be able to maintain pH of 8.2 with a 3 dKH.So if I'm correct,then 3megs/L is good although many reefers prefer it a little higher than natural seawater.

Back