My poor fishies

Nadia Nassar

Reefing newb
So about three weeks ago my husband and I went out and bought a new anemone, and a new fire fish to add to our 20 gallon tank. Over the last couple of days 3 of our 4 fish have died and the last is on it's way out. We believe it to be ick. How did this happend? Any ideas. We do weekly water changes and have never had an issue with anything. We recently got new lights as well but I don't think that would have caused all of our fish to get sick and die.
I'm so bummed right now. Any thoughts?
Nadia

I'm sorry for your fish losses :(
4 fish is a lot for a 20 gallon tank. 1 + Diggler, water parameters are needed and we need to know what you have living in the tank (or did) how long the tank has been set up, what kind of anemone, etc. Why do you believe it to be ich? Do you have pictures?

No need to list, what happens is you put another fish in and the other fish got stressed causing the outbreak of ich. Ich exist in my tank, im for sure, and its part of buying fish is that risk.
I run a uv sterilizer; not saying it is a prevent all; to kill the 3rd stage of the ichs life, to help. It also kill bacteria at a certain flow. That said, theres also a medic tank you can purchase to do hypo, but in most cases they eradicate it by themselves. I highly doubt it was only 2 weeks in your tank to kill a fish, since the first stage takes longer. Sorry for your loss, no one likes when are pests die. :-(

There is always a need to list parameters. That is the protocol on this site. There is even a sticky about it. We can then troubleshoot the situation in an educated and informed manner AND help spot any additional problems.

Last edited:
Yea, i seen the sticky. Only if they put honest #'s. Who is honestly gonna put bad stats on here? Then we say, to many fish, stress, and all fish have a life cycle or it was sick when you got it, just didnt show.
Before asking a question, one would self check their parameters. Js

I'm sorry for your fish losses. That must be an awful feeling. But I agree with Mario there were too many fish for the 20 gallon tank, you shouldn't have more than two fish in there. They probably got under to much stress after the fire fish was added and got sick. Now that you only have one left don't forget to not overstock your tank. If you want more fish you can always upgrade your tank size to have more.

+1 all of the points, plus, how's the anemone doing? Did you acclimate it properly? A dying nem will release toxins and kill tank inhabitants, too.

Yea, i seen the sticky. Only if they put honest #'s. Who is honestly gonna put bad stats on here? Then we say, to many fish, stress, and all fish have a life cycle or it was sick when you got it, just didnt show.
Before asking a question, one would self check their parameters. Js

Only people who truly want help and want to be successful in this hobby.

did you see white spots? ich is brought on by stress which is a result of adding a new tank inhabitant in such a small footprint, like everyone has said, 4 fish in a 20G is WAY overstocked

I hey everyone. This is actually my tank that Nadia is talking about . she was trying to be helpful by asking for me while I was at work. If you refer to my 20 gallon long page there is more info on what happened and parameters. And yes they are accurate params, why lie about it. Can't get accurate help if you lie. Also I disagree with the overstocking, I have had 4 fish in my tank since the beginning and they have been fine. No aggression no wild parameter swings I only recently lost my first fish to me moving. I know everyone follows the 1 fish per 10 gallon rule. But if there is no aggression and you take care of your water quality I don't see the issue. All my fish are very small as well I would never throw like a tang in there. I monitor my water weekly and my params are always within tolerance even with 4 fish. The Anemone is great Btw. Looks amazing fully blown up and eating a lot. :-)

That was our initial guess as well. He didn't show any signs for the first 3 weeks of sickness or stress. Got a long great with the other fish and ate plenty. But who knows. So many variables.

did u quarantine the new fish before introducing? I had the same prob last month. My mistake was introducing a new fish without doing the quarantine first and 4 of my fish got the ich. By the time I realized it...it was already too late and they died

Back