my poor stressed clown..

Creben

aspiring reefer
I got m first clown yesterday, but im really worried about him. He swam eratically at the current all night, and now swims constantally at the glass. There might of been some ammonia in the tank, despite my chromis being so happy, so I did a 10% water change and added some bacteria.
im going to try and get him to eat today..
what should I do if he doesn't eat and continues acting so stressed? More water changes?
when my fish aren't happy I feel like :pooh:
guidance?

I am new to salt water fish but I have many years with fresh water fish and the best thing I have found is to turn off the lights and dont feed them. Just let him adjust to his new environment for a day or two he wont starve. Make sure that the water chemistry goes to normal from what I know a tiny bit of ammonia wont kill him either.

For all you know he was just captured from the ocean, transported many miles in a truck, thrown into the store tanks with other creatures and then you bought him all within a couple of days. He is probably in shock.

Clowns are weird fish. Nothing that they do should really be considered odd behavior. They like to ride the current, they swim eratically, so I wouldn't panic just yet. I would however do water changes until the ammonia is undetectable. They're also a pretty durable fish.

How long has your tank been set up?

Since the first of the year. The LFS told me they were pretty durable that's why I stuck him in so early. When I put him in I also vaccummed out some of the tank! I didn't realize I could stir up so much ammonia. Im a dummy.. :frustrat:

What is your ammonia level? I would start doing water changes. You definitely don't want to disturb the sandbed.

Clown are kinda strange, they swim funny like that. However, if you are worried i would test your water and depending on your results then i would worry. Someone earlier was right about him being new to the tank and they need a little bit to settle in.

Also, you may have started a mini cycle by stirring up your sand bed. Get some nass snails to help keep your sand bed stirred.

Clowns are in the damsel family, so they are very hardy and if you did cause a mini cycle, just keep doing water changes and im pretty sure he will make it.

If the clown is laying on the bottom of the tank on his side, breathing heavily, then something's wrong. Any behavior but that seems to be part of being a wacky clown!

Ok. Its looking like some water changes will fix the problem. He's swimming fine.. just looked stressed. I kinda wish I could just have the "everythings going to be alright" talk with him, and fix it with a hug. :D

Of course! What have you put in your tank so far?

Right now I just have 4 snails and 3 hermits. I am going to pick up a mushroom today and see how that does. I am more interested in the weird creatures like urchins and starfish etc than actual fish LOL I am weird like that. :D

Ok. Its looking like some water changes will fix the problem. He's swimming fine.. just looked stressed. I kinda wish I could just have the "everythings going to be alright" talk with him, and fix it with a hug. :D

HAHA I am the same way with all my creatures. I have some freshwater shrimp that like to hang on my finger when I put food in their tank they are so awesome I just want to hug em and squish em, in a good way!

Right now I just have 4 snails and 3 hermits. I am going to pick up a mushroom today and see how that does. I am more interested in the weird creatures like urchins and starfish etc than actual fish LOL I am weird like that. :D

ahh i see what you mean! my favorite parts of the aquarium are the small life that nobody sees unless they really really stare. but i couldn't resist a clown! they are so cool.

you should get a seahorse, or a mantis shrimp! those are really weird, captivating, creatures.

Back