My Red Planet frag, growth, pic heavy

Dennis would probably be the one to comment about the saturation and his answer would more than likely be right, but I think it's a bit over saturated too. I will freely admit my pics have much to be desired tho. I also think you should set up custom white balance. I see way too much blue in the pic....unless your rocks really are that shade of blue. ;)
I recently was at a presentation by Gary Parr (www.gparr.com) and he said the best way to set a custom white balance is put a white styrofoam plate in the tank at about a 45 degree angle. Set the white balance to the plate and your camera should make the corrections and kill off all the extra blue.

Thanks Larry I'll give that a shot.

Well to each is own. There isn't any saturation on my part. Could be all your computer monitors. Like I said its shot in raw and the only things I tweak is the brightness and the darks.

Dana, I'm not trying to cut you down by any means.

This is one of your pics and the colors look natural. The colors of the rock look real.
rp7.jpg

To me, this pic looks to have too much color. Maybe saturation isn't the right word, maybe vibrance (I opened a raw pic in Photoshop and checked some settings).
RPTD.jpg

Again, please don't take this as cutting down your pics or not liking them. As I said, I am far from a photography expert. In my eyes, I just see 2 different amounts of color in everything when comparing the 2 pics.

Im not being defensive in any way but that first picture was done with an iphone and the second is with a Nikon D5000, i think that in its self says a lot on clarity and realness. On top of that the pictures are about 8 months apart if not more. Don't corals color up in your tank? Doesnt your rocks mature?They do in mine. Well, most...

As far as anyone "liking" my photo's i really dont care. I'm not a "show off". When i post pictures its more less a recording for myself so i can look back and see how far ive come. If ppl enjoy looking at them thats even better. Idk what the vibrance is even set at, like i said i really dont mess with them at all.Sometimes they come out to dark or to bright and i play with the contrast, brightness, and darks.

Ive never claimed to be a professional at taking pictures, but i can say whole heartly im not gunna jack a picture up to "show off".

Im not being defensive in any way but that first picture was done with an iphone and the second is with a Nikon D5000, i think that in its self says a lot on clarity and realness. On top of that the pictures are about 8 months apart if not more. Don't corals color up in your tank? Doesnt your rocks mature?They do in mine. Well, most...

As far as anyone "liking" my photo's i really dont care. I'm not a "show off". When i post pictures its more less a recording for myself so i can look back and see how far ive come. If ppl enjoy looking at them thats even better. Idk what the vibrance is even set at, like i said i really dont mess with them at all.Sometimes they come out to dark or to bright and i play with the contrast, brightness, and darks.

Ive never claimed to be a professional at taking pictures, but i can say whole heartly im not gunna jack a picture up to "show off".

I think your pictures are Great and love the way your corals progress!! I say if they don't like them, don't look. Just my :twocents: Keep it up Dana I enjoy...

well Dana I for one love your photo's and all that you share the colors look real enough to me i know with my EVO 4G-HD sometimes my photos come out amazing sometime they dont. i have not control over my settings its all auto as far as i know if any thing i can control the brightness. so yeah I love your pic bro keep up the great work and your red planet looks amazing

Dana, I don't think Larry is getting on you about photoshopping your pics. I can see his point about the rock looking blue in the last picture.

What he asked was, are your rocks that color blue, or is there the chance that the camera, like any other picked up the blue light so much better, and it wasn't quite edited out?

For myself, looking at your picture I really like it, and like most the stuff you post. Lord knows I have voted many times for your POTM. But to my eyes, as well as Larry's I am guessing, the picture just looks a little to vibrant and not exactly true to life. I have seen tons of Red Planet, but none have looked as pink as yours.

Again, I'm not saying anything negative towards you, or about your photo. But ask yourself if the picture itself looks true to life as you look at the coral in your tank.

I think the rocks looking that blue would be from it being a top down photo. It almost looks the exact color of a blue + bulb. Your pictures look way better than any I have taken.

Dana, I don't think Larry is getting on you about photoshopping your pics. I can see his point about the rock looking blue in the last picture.

What he asked was, are your rocks that color blue, or is there the chance that the camera, like any other picked up the blue light so much better, and it wasn't quite edited out?

For myself, looking at your picture I really like it, and like most the stuff you post. Lord knows I have voted many times for your POTM. But to my eyes, as well as Larry's I am guessing, the picture just looks a little to vibrant and not exactly true to life. I have seen tons of Red Planet, but none have looked as pink as yours.

Again, I'm not saying anything negative towards you, or about your photo. But ask yourself if the picture itself looks true to life as you look at the coral in your tank.

Ive already said this...i try my hardest to get it looking EXACTLY how i see it. My friend JUST left and i showed him this thread and pictures and he seriously laughed and said "who cares what they wanna think". Which is totally true. I know what im seeing so it doesnt matter.

I think the rocks looking that blue would be from it being a top down photo. It almost looks the exact color of a blue + bulb. Your pictures look way better than any I have taken.

BINGO....been wrapping my head around it for a while between this thread and the one on RC. Im guessing its from the reflection or something to do with the top down view. Thanks for the compliment also. Key to shooting SPS corals ive found out it turning off all the flow.

I'm notsaying anything derogatory, not at all. Just saying I understand where Larry is coming from with his statement is all.

Okay this is still bugging me. I zero'd out the saturation, vibrance, clarity, and jacked the color temp up to 13000, no more blue but i dont think its the best representation of the color i see looking at the coral.

fukukfuyjketddtjty.jpg

Dana, if you are adjusting the color in your pic to match what you see by eye, that I think was all Larry was talking about. That and the fact that your rock just looks a paler shade of blue, which very well could be it reflecting the blue spectrum.

I like that pic. To my eyes, it looks very natural. Even the white tips are now more white where in the others they had way more blue in them.

Back