my reef - some day

rick

Reefing newb
Hell, to all -

Living Reefs has been a great inspiration! My reef project started mainly because of your site - the moderator's DIY and comments are very informative, well written & researched (as far as I can tell), and great to read. Having said that, you are to blame for my crazy reef project.

I have never had a fish tank - not even one of those office desk tank. But, here I am building an 80 gallon reef tank into the wall. The tank is a Perfecto 80 (48x18x24 high) bow front. The tank will be built into my 2nd floor home office and stairwell; the bow section would protrude into the stair well and be able to see from the 2nd floor livingroom, diningroom and kitchen (upside house), and the other side of tank will be in my home office next to my desk.

Structure: cut the existing wall studs and framed with 2x6 headers and 2x4 sill. Built a platform with solid oak and oak plywood (2.5 inches thick) - I don't have a wood shop and had to use a friend's shop. Since the platform serves both structural and esthetics, I spent a few days to build it. The front section matches the bow shape of the tank.

Since the tank will be overhanged into the office by 9 inches, a structural box was built and tied to the studs. This box will house the refugium and pumps, etc. Because the box does not go all the way down to the floor, I had to reinforce the studs and add metal brackets and secured with 5/16" lag bolts. This still makes a bit uncomfortable.

AC/Heat duct had to be relocated (shortened), had to move AC supply and return lines, re-route a bunch of 120 V wires, AC condensate drain lines, etc. Of course none of these were planned.

Wires: since I had to move wires, ran extra wires and added two new GFI outlets.

Tank: Perfecto 80 bow. Because I wanted the overflow to be on the opposite side of where they normally put, it will take 4-8 weeks. Hope to have it in next few weeks.

Light: 48" with (3) 250 W MH with 10K and 15K, (2) 96 W Blue Fl, and moon lights, and (4) cooling fans from Aquauniverse (nice people to deal with). Don't like the heavy SJ light cords - planning on changing them.

Refugium: 24x10x15 glass with a compact Fl. from Aquauniverse. Not sure which end is what .. and totally clear as to what goes on in there.

Protein Skimmer with a pump: also from Aquauniverse.

By next weekend I am hoping to complete the construction and varnish the wood work. By then the tank should arrive and see if all the puzzles fit into places.

I have too many questions to ask at this point, or not sure what to ask at this point.

I am hoping to get the living rocks asap so that I can start curing them next week following the moderator's 'Curing Live Rock' article. Then, transfer when the tank comes in and cycle it in my reef system. What would be the logical way to get the rocks and how much do I need? Do I go to local reef store (we do have two great stores) or do I mail order?

Thanks in advance to all feedbacks.

Rick

hi rick and welcome to livingreefs..john has posted a large amount of helpful articles and we are very greatful for all his time and effort..:^: typically you would shoot for at least 1 - 1 1/2 lbs of live rock per gallon of water. i would pick rock based on a few factors...local (can be pricey) if you want to create that one of a kind rock structure and "support" you LFS, or get it online and go the cheaper route which you might not get what you looking for as in rock size, hitchhikers, etc and finally you can check you local news papers or reef clubs in your area and see if someone is getting out of the hobby..you might just find the steal of the century that way :shock:
just my :twocents:

Last edited:
WOW,looks like you opened up a can of worms..LOL ..I'm sure it all will be worth it and will look beautiful..As for the live rocks,,,You can use from 1 to 2 lbs. of live rock per gal.anywhere in that range would be fine...Over here live rock cost about 7 bucks a lb. very expensive...I purchased about 40 lbs. at that price...Then I purchased 50 lbs from the internet at 4 bucks ,,and the both looked the same..so that 50 lbs. saved me 150 dollors..so if you purchase say, 150 lbs the price difference would be around 450 dollors..So it up to you

Wow reefwannabe,,you think we are getting screwed around here in south louisiana..We pay 7 bucks a lb.for LR here..GEEZ..I kinda feel sick now..It would be worth the drive to go to buy LR there...We only have 1 LPS here that sells LR,corals,you know stuff like that.. we have petco and petsmart here but they only sell fish...I quess thats why they can sell LR for 7.00..

I bought mine from a local who was getting out of the hobby. if you look hard enough the deals are there. My LFS sells it for 8.99/pound

Another guy sells nice cured rock for $5/pound and up depending on the type.

i usually order mine from waltsmith. i only pay 2.00/lb and the shipping its cheaper and i like the rocks i get from him. my next tank is going ot be at least 135 RR and i am going to have tonga branch as well as pacific rocks

welcome and thankyou for the update. sounds like a great project. very exciting indeed. pictures of the progress if you have a chance. on the live rock, you could check out HIROCK.com or HIROCKS.com. this is reef rock mined on land from an ancient reef. it is dead but is great for base rock to get you above the substrait, then I would select lighter rock for the upper portion of the reef and leave plenty of flat areas for add rock depending on how you want to aquascape your system. HIROCk is dense heavy rock and you can get 80 lbs of larger delivered for apprx. 80 to 100 dollars. Check out my photo gallery. all the rock on the bottom is HIROCk and the middle and top is fugi. of course it is all dead rock but will seed it with a piece or two of uncurred live rock depending on availability from the area I will be concentrating on for my live stock. hope this helps, good luck, keep us posted, pic's please, and WELCOME TO THE SITE.

Thanks to all replies -

I went to HIROCK website, they have a 60 # box of 'large, plain' rocks for $68 and smaller sizes (golf ball to base ball sizes). I'm not sure if which would be more suitable for the base rock. I would think the larger would be better - if it is too large, I guess I could break them to samller size.

I tried to up load some pix but it got locked up. I will try another go at it.

I would go with larger rocks.... a bunch of smaller rocks as your foundation will cause alot of shifting and settling, plus larger rocks will leave openings to improve water flow, create caves and paths through the rock work for your live stock.

Just my two cents.

How large should the base rocks be? HIROCK don't have any lareger sizes - or maybe I missed it. I would imagine flat and long would be a better choice to start the base formation.

Has anyone used a drift wood on a reef tank?

I finally uploaded some pix of my reef project. I guess I was using too large of files - not sure how large of files I can upload.

Rick

I checked out Hirocks and they have the larger rock it is called large plain. or you can go for the 5 to 8" size.

http://www.hirocks.com/Our_Products.html

hope this helps. remember your base rock needs to be supported on the bottom of the tank with something to distribute point loading, and the substrait will cover most of it so large plain should be just fine for that. good luck. keep us posted.

Thanks!

I guess I overlooked those rocks. 90# should be ample enough for the base, and add some live rocks on top.

What do you think of using a driftwood, real and composite cast? Dr. Fosters have some avail. - trying to keep the weight down if I can.

I uploaded some photos finally after a few tries.

I've our orchid show at Rockerfeller Center, NYC this week which I am involved with; after this week, I can really get my reef tank going.

R

real drift wood is not recommended for marine aquariums, however, some do use it. I personally do not use anything that is not marine in origin.

Ok, now my orchid show nyc is over - back to fishes .........

I got 120 #s of HIROCK ..... but have not received my main tank, yet. My RODI filter is in and install that this weekend. Still need lots of work on contruction; tie-in the a/c lines, add more GFIs, wires, sheetrock, and trim work. Hope to get most of these done this weekend.

I am trying to put a shoping list together and what might be my next step moving forward with the reef tank, but need some input. I read your DYI on 'Curing Live Rock' - it seems that I can follow the same recipe to make deadrocks into liverocks. I'm thinking that I can start the curing or prep for curing process asap and when the tank arrives I can transfer the Deadrocks and add Live Sand and Live Rocks to continue the curing/cycling.

How do I prep the 'deadrocks' before making into 'live-rocks'?

If I were to use about 100 # to 120 # of deadrock in 80 gallon - how much of Live Rock and Live Sand would I need? What kind of Substrate (sand) do you recommend for my system.

I understand the tank bottom is tempered glass - rocks contacting glass still makes me uneasy (having tank on 2nd floor makes me cautious). I was thinking of putting a dab of silicon on rocks that may come in contact with the bottom.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Rick

well some use whats called star board on the bottom. I use flourescent light diffuser grids and cut to fit between the edges making sure it does not rest on the the silicon seal around the edges. I fill with substrait to top of grid, place dead rock and build to above the sand level, and then add rest of sand. from there i build the reef still with dead reef rock but of lighter type say tonga or fugi etc. once water is in and cycle is started i add the live rock to seed the system and some live sand. most all of your questions will be answered in the helpful articles forum. on page one you will find some articles for new setups and beginners. I would direct you to that forum and spend some time browsing through the articles. most of your questons will be answered there. good luck happy fishin.

Back