My Reefkeeper Lite makes me feel stupid!

stormystormy11

Reef Addicted!
Anybody have one off these? All I wanted was a wavemaker. I bought two new Hydor E's because they are made for on/off switching and then after several weeks of research I finally decided on the RedSea but was told that it had been discontinued...Customer service said "everyone uses a reefkeeper". Okay, so that is what I got. After 8 hours trying to download software in my new computer which never did work. (Administrator wouldn't allow it....I am the administrator!) Anyway my old laptop did the job. In one week all I managed to program was the powerheads running in cycles of one minute and decided I didn't like it. It scared the fish and really cut down on the flow. The ph probe is nice IF I callibrated that right...no instructions for anything! My temp is giving me an "error"...but itemp seems to be reading something..what's the difference. I did buy the two PC4's so I only have 8 outlets...what should I use them for and I need very detailed step by step instructions on programing. My lights are already running fine on a timer for day and night on another unit. Right now it just looks like I spent $270.00 on a powerstrip that runs two powerheads full time..lol.

First, yes.... programming is a PITA! At least until you get used to it.

itemp is what you want if you are using the itemp probe that came with it. Ignore the other.

PH calibration is done with the packs of two calibration liquids. Pretty easy.
Digital Aquatics Forum • View topic - ph probe calibration question
Don't ever let the PH probe dry out, btw.

Unfortunately, I dont use the wavemaker feature so i can't help you there.
But try asking on the DA forum.

Oh, and you could also use the RKL for dosing. I use BRS dosing pumps and 2-Part. Works great.
But again, be prepared for some programming frustration and until you get a good grasp of it.

And make sure you heater is plugged into one of the outer outlets (they run at a higher amperage) and set an alarm so you'll know if the heater gets stuck on or dies.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97kfsyF4hqc&feature=pyv]Setting up a Reefkeeper Plus Aquarium Controller - Ep:5 How to set up a saltwater aquarium - YouTube[/ame]
Great video and they show you how to program :) I want one so bad!

So the heater should go into a ch. 1 or 4? The alarm is a good idea but I already have a lifeguard temp alert on this tank. Would like to set up the feature to shut off heater and mh lights if temp raises too high. Don't have a clue how to do that! I watched the video...I'll watch it again. I think they skipped the wavemaker programming tho. I know this is a stupid question but can the probes go all the way under water?

Not to really take this sideways, but if all you wantd was a wave maker, why didn't you purchase one from Hydor? They make them specifically for your pumps.

So the heater should go into a ch. 1 or 4? The alarm is a good idea but I already have a lifeguard temp alert on this tank. Would like to set up the feature to shut off heater and mh lights if temp raises too high. Don't have a clue how to do that! I watched the video...I'll watch it again. I think they skipped the wavemaker programming tho. I know this is a stupid question but can the probes go all the way under water?

Yea, ch. 1 or 4. I bought mine for the temp probe and heater control. I ended up also using it for a lighting timer. Once I get a second PC4 I think I may try to set up the wave maker.

Are you on the current firmware? If so use the "MyReef" application. It's much easier to use than programming from the module. I set up my koralias as wave makers just using the powerstrip plugins. I plugged them both into the same PC4 (positions 1 & 2), programmed one as wavemakerA and the other as wavemakerB.

You'll also want to make sure you have everything daisy-chained together correctly.

Yes I have the "Reef" application downloaded and everything is put together right. I even used the A and B wavemaker which I now have shut off. I just couldn't get the settings right. It seems like so much work...just if someone would program it for me:)

I would totally program it for you if I could! After all the trouble I went through with the defective one, I am a RKL programming master! LOL

I feel your pain. I got the RKE a week ago. I started trying to figure it out then I realized it was still on its original firmware with a 1.0 update module!!!! I decide to wait till I got the 2.0 module to mess with it. Was afraid would have to learn all new programming a second time!!!! Hahaha. It had original firmware cuz I bought it used. 400 bucks for the elite with 2 pc 4 modules, 2 of the lunar pod modules w/ 12 lunar lights, a pc 1 module, a switch kit and all the probes.
All I need is another switching hub and the network module!!!!!! So far I want to setup an ato with a secondary shut off switch. A shut off switch for my pump for my ato and a wet floor switch. I am also going to setup a shutoff and alarm for my heater. I mainly got it for the ability to view parameter while away. I'm military and need that peace of mind!!!! Lol..
Orp is my oxygen level, right? What should that be out of curiousity? Do I need the network module to use my reef with it? Any advice for me other than be patient and don't throw it off the 28th floor? Hahaha

I don't know anything about oxygen levels..I still need to get that and the net. Was wondering can u get a salinity prob? Would like a prob holder too. leon1972, you got a really good deal on your system.
I decided to do some much needed maintenance on my tank yesterday and realized my canister filter was unplugged ...I'm guessing for like a month! No wonder my xenia's didn't look so good. My first reaction was to plug it back in..oops..so now a 20 gallon water change later I'm thinking if only I could just get that RKL programmed!

Hey leon, if u don't have a top off system yet...I can't talk enough about the system I have. Check out this post:

I thought I would comment on this system for those that are looking at an ato. Because of the MH lights and fans I was adding a lot of water daily to my tanks so I bought one of these for my 75. It is made different than any other one I've seen and only has one small sensor that is zip tied to a bracket and a small pump that fits nicely in a container. The unit itself is small and simple. The problem I had is that the bracket is made for a sump and I don't have one. I bought this from Bulk Reef Supply for @200.00 and when I called them they were surprised that the bracket did not fit on my rim. They were out of ideas and told me they would call me back but never did...even sent them pictures of the rim and bracket fit. Oh well wanting to see how it worked I put it on my biocube 30..it also would not fit on the outer rim but did find a place in the back chamber. I put a L shaped piece on the outtake tube just above the water so that it couldn't be pulled off the back. It didn't come with tube or any connections for this also. It has been running great! I'm so pleased that it is doing the work for me with no ugly switches that I ordered another one for my 75. I think I'll attach the probe by zip tie to my protein skimmer tube. I ordered from Marine Depot this time. Wasn't impressed with customer service at BRS.

I would totally program it for you if I could! After all the trouble I went through with the defective one, I am a RKL programming master! LOL

I have a programming question. I'm getting a fan setup in my fuge for cooling. I was just wondering from your experience what would be best to set this up at to kick on if I want to keep my tank at 81 degrees? Would it best to have it kick on at 81.1 then back off at 81? I see a lot of wear and tear on the fan due to consistent on and off but if there is only .1 fluctuations that would be totally negligible and keep my system happy right?

Back