My sand... Is it alive?

Veilside0Three

Reefing newb
So the stand for my aquarium is black, as well as the background, so I decided to get black "live sand" from the lfs. I purchased about 100lbs of this black live sand for $1.03/lb.

Does this price sound right? And do you think its actually live sand? I havent noticed any little critters crawling around in it. And i'm wondering why I only paid a dollar per pound when i see it online for $2-3/lb.

Was it dry? or wet. If wet and with rock and fish...then yes its alive. Live sand has more to do with bactaria than with a lot of critters. Once you get your live rock some of those bigger criters will go to the sand...i know mine did

Was it dry? or wet. If wet and with rock and fish...then yes its alive. Live sand has more to do with bactaria than with a lot of critters. Once you get your live rock some of those bigger criters will go to the sand...i know mine did

No it was completely dry. Its been in the tank with the water for about 4 months, with rock for about 3 months, with fish for about 2. Will it get life sooner or later? Or should i mix in some good wet sand?

If you have live rock, your sand will eventually become live sand. The important thing is that you have enough live rock for filtration which to me is a lot more important than LS...but either way, you will have LS eventually.

If you have live rock, your sand will eventually become live sand. The important thing is that you have enough live rock for filtration which to me is a lot more important than LS...but either way, you will have LS eventually.

No I don't have enough LR. I have a 90 gallon, with probably only 25lbs of rock so far. I slowly add 5-7lb stones weekly or so, but its so expensive around here. $6.99/lb!

As long as your sands been in the tank,its already what is called Live sand.Fastlights right,You dont many(if any)critters in a bag of sand.Its the bacteria that makes it live.

Besides Craig's list, look around for dry rock. It is less than $2 a pound here (live rock is $8.50 / lb) and will become live in time.

Last edited:
is that only in fish stores? The only dry stuff mylfs has is redrock.

You might find dry rock on craig's list, but I've found it in the LFS. One near me had it for 1.89 lb. You can also use a place such as www.MarcoRocks.com. I had a great experience with them, although not everyone has reported such an experience. The shipping cost isn't too bad as dry rock weighs a lot less than wet live rock.

Edit: Just took a look at their site and they have dry Florida base rock for 99 cents a pound (20 pound minimum).

Back