My sand

ReefWannabe

Reefing newb
Ok so tonight I emptied the tank of all water and CC. Got into into position in the living room. I cut my eggcrate to size, leaving about an inch around the edges, so not to touch the silicone. I started digging through my sand to fill in the first layer and to cover the eggcrate.

I noticed some of the sand is a greyish color while the rest is whitish tan color. It also smells a bit nasty. The rest smells fine. Could this have been the bottom layer from the previous tank? And should I throw this darker stuff out?

I wouldnt. just mix it good and when you add water cycle for at least 2 weeks before adding anything or doing anything. it will sablize out as it cycles. if it gets too nasty just do water changes until the smell is fresh at the surface. a protien skimmer although not normally started on a new system until cycled, I would run one on this system from day one to collect any residue that may linger from the last system.

ok cool, sounds good then. Im doing exactly as you said the other day with the eggcrate and base rock. Ill know friday about how bad this LR is. Another local guy already wants to trade me a few peices of mine for some of his. Imma see him friday also. All I need now is maybe some base rock and another rio 800 for my skimmer lol, it konked out on day 2...
Im also getting some sand from 2 other tanks for seeding. Is this a good idea? I have a bag of the aragonite sand that comes with water in it. (got it for free!!) Should I just mix it all together for a nice new diverse dsb?

sure, but maybe you might want to let the system run for 4 weeks to let all settle down before starting your water changes unless nitrates go over 40. water changes will slow the process a bit but with what you are going in with I doubt that will matter for your system. good luck. the more diversity in bacteria you can get the better. keep us posted.

OK I will, going to start taking pics tomorrow. Ive been watching my cousins tank as my guinea pig lol. I saw his salinity up to 1.026 and growing the other day.... I made him take out some of his water and slowly add so ro water until it went back to normal. Letting him borrow my powerhead and skimmer until mine gets rolling. (imma nice guy lol)

I also got another book today. "The Saltwater Aquarium Handbook" by George Blasiola.. Some light reading at nightime for now.

Back