My Setup

Fishtails

Reefing newb
Hello everyone,

I don't think I've posted anything about my new setup, so I thought I'd let my Chattanooga friends see what four months of progress looks like so far. I'm very satisfied with everything so far. I'm done with fish stocking and all I have now is to add coral and watch everything grow. I've been into the hobby for about 5 years, since I was about 13 or so. I've had numerous reef tanks, but this is by far my most favorite so far. I'm feeling as though this is my most sucessful setup to date and hopefully it'll run for a long time.

My setup is very basic and I've found that with weekly waterchanges and daily(2x) feedings, my water parameters never fluctuate too much. I say this because my fish stock is very high, but I absolutely love watching these fish in a reef setup, which is why I chose them. My fish include: 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Lyretail Anthias, 1 Sixline Wrasse, 1 Bluespotted Watchman Goby, 1 Kole Tang, and 5 Blue/Green Chromis. Now alot of you will say way OVERSTOCKED, which I know is very much true, but I do plan on upgrading very soon to meet the needs of my fish. My cleanup crew consists of +/-24 various hermit crabs, 7 Turbo snails and various hitchiker starfish and snails. I also have an Procellin crab that hitchiked on my rock.

Now, I couldn't keep my tank so stocked without testing and doing proper water changes. I change about 25% weekly and add fresh carbon every 2 weeks. I never top off because of the fact my water level never drops over +/-1". I also clean the glass about twice weekly with my a magne. The water parameters are as follows: pH-8.2(will drop to 8.0 at night), Nitrite-0, Nitrate-2.5ppm, Ca-420ppm, Alk.-12/dkh. I'm not getting much coralline on my glass right now, but since I began adding Seachem calcium, my liverock has began to encrust with different colors of coralline. IMO Seachem has the best additives compared to Kent, etc. More basic stuff would be my lighting which is 500 watts of MH. I'm running XM 14k's. I love the color they produce compared to 10k's.

Now here are some pictures of my setup. Please leave comments, negative and positive.:D

Full_Tank_4.jpg

Full_Tank_3.jpg

Full_Tank_2.jpg

Full_Tank_1.jpg

closeup_2.jpg

Chromis_schooling.jpg

Chromis_closeup.jpg

Bluespotted_watchman_closeup.jpg

male_clownfish.jpg

looking good alex! Ill make you a deal, If you join the club on the 11th ill give you some of my branching hammer, and some montipora capricornis. just some incentive. Again its looking good man

Thanks everyone for the great comments! I am requesting either off or to work early next Saturday so I can make the meeting. I really want to be there.

Very nice rock work, you never add top off? On my 65 high I usually have to add close to a gallon a day, 2 in the summertime, though I have a whole lot of surface agitation, and a fan blowing across the top and a 250watt mh, 2 96watt pcs,and 2 ho t5s in an enclosed(3/4 open back) canopy , so I suppose thats why, nice job

I usually don't add any top off becuase that's as low as my water level gets(in the picture) in about a week, which I then just remove about 25% of the water and do a WC. I do, however, watch how much salt I add becuase it's been fluctuating about .002+ or so. Also, I'm beginning to have tempature issues. It will go from 80-81* in the daytime, down to 77-78* at night. I don't really want to add a chiller, espically with winter coming up, but then again if my fish and coral seems fine I should be alright?

Again, thanks for the comments everyone.

Three degrees is nothing to worry about, you will probably get higher spikes in the summer months, but lots of surface agitation and a fan blowing across the top of the water will help a lot

Back