My Shadow box 50g saltwater fish tank

Teixeira29

Live Rock Fish only
I have 3 gobies, Auriga Butterfly , Ocellaris clownfish. I really want a foxface but i am really strict with these fish and i am not going to put a foxfaces life in jeopardy because the tank isnt big enough. My filtration is a H.O.T Magnum Pro System, Bio Wheel 100. If theres anything that you guys can suggest to make this sytem better i would really like your feedback. Thanks Teixeira29

I have 3 gobies, Auriga Butterfly , Ocellaris clownfish. I really want a foxface but i am really strict with these fish and i am not going to put a foxfaces life in jeopardy because the tank isnt big enough. My filtration is a H.O.T Magnum Pro System, Bio Wheel 100. If theres anything that you guys can suggest to make this sytem better i would really like your feedback. Thanks Teixeira29

For filtration, i would get live rock & a good skimmer.

How about some pics?

A good skimmer would definitely do the trick as well as live rock . 1-2lbs per gallon of water is what your shooting for in amount of live rock.

You can look at octopus skimmers, they are some of the best skimmers around.

How much live rock do you have now?
If you have over 1lb per gallon then you can remove the canister and biowheels.If you need the extra flow then run them empty.Nitrates tend to build up on both filters if not cleaned often.Maybe for a few days a month you can polish the water using the canister(floss,carbon etc.).I agree with eveyone,a good quality skimmer is important.

So i have about 30lbs of live rick and 3lbs of live sand. So you think i should get rid of the bio wheel and canister filter,what should i get for filtration then?

Last edited:
My suggestion is to cure 20+lbs of live rock separate from the main tank since you have fish already.You could also add small amounts til you have enough.When it's fully cured then remove the canister and biowheel.The live rock will be the main filter,biological filter that is.Then,I would get a good skimmer.Like I said earlier,you can use the canister on a part time basis to run floss,carbon phosphate remover.

I also recommend buying more live rock so that you have 1 to 2 lbs per gallon in there (in your tank, 50 to 100 lbs of rock). Then get rid of all your other filters, and buy a good protein skimmer instead.

Back