My snail lost it's shell

rudabug

Reefing newb
Does anybody know why a snail would leave it's shell? I don't believe it is deed because it is moving around, it may soon be dead though.

I really dont think a snail can live without its shell (They are attached to it), if it comes out then it is dead.. maybe just being moved around in the current?
Sure it is not a stomatella? those basically look like they have no shell..

Actually I have seen this happen before to a turbo snail, but he didnt last much longer after he lost his shell. What is a better question is what caused him to do so. Can you list off all of your water parameters and the equipment you use on the tank

Have to go get water checked. I have a back pac protein skimmer a Tetra 45X filter and a blower. Here is a picture my son took today, It is the guy on the right. My water should be good I have a blood red shrimp that just molted, A Star brittle, a clown fish and four snails, maybe three snails now.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 715
Last edited:
oh, that is a stomalla snail. If you look very carefully you will see something that looks like a scale on its back, that is all that is left of its shell (normal for the species)

no, stomalla snails dont grow a traditional shell like you are thinking of. If you look very carefully on its back you will see what looks like a scale, that is its shell.

Back