My Snails Dont Last.

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Ninja Spear, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Ninja Spear

Chris_150G

My LFS sells at least 3 different types of snails. One of them is the Margarita snail. It's a cold water snail that does not last long in warm water tanks. They are smaller and round, without the conical point that the turbo has.

You are probably talking about turbos but I thought I 'd mention it just in case you have margaritas.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
    Chris_150G, Jan 12, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Ninja Spear

Rcpilot

Most of the snails in our tanks come from cold waters. Astrea, turbo, margarite - all come from cool water.

We are slowly boiling them in our tanks. Even at 75F it's at least 20F warmer than they are evolved to live in.

From the article I linked to earlier:
    And the astrea snail:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
    Rcpilot, Jan 12, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Ninja Spear

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Something else thats not been mentioned.
    Whats the salinity in your tank and is it tested with a hydrometer or refractometer?

I've found that nearly all inverts will do better when the salinity is kept at 1.025-1.026.

yote, Jan 12, 2010
  4. Ninja Spear

Ninja Spear Bloodsail Admiral

I still havent found the Problem with my snails. I bought some on monday they seem to be fine. 3 Turbo's and one Larger one that has some black stripes on the shell. 2 out of three Turbo's are moving around one is Just hanging on to a rock. The Stripped one is Awsome, tho he hides during the day.

I will check the Salinity and the electrical Current again. I am tired of Dumping money into snails.

Cheers

Ninja Spear, Jan 14, 2010
  5. Ninja Spear

Smitty

Good luck with this batch. Hope they work out.

Smitty, Jan 14, 2010
  6. Ninja Spear

PufferGuy

as listed before, my snails also fall on their backs and die... is this a sign of something or do most snails do that??

PufferGuy, Jan 14, 2010
  7. Ninja Spear

dcantucson

Most snails if healthy can right themselves. I think a lot of us have problems with snails at some point.

dcantucson, Jan 14, 2010
  8. Ninja Spear

Sunshine

Me and Pufferguy must have the uncoordinated breed of snails. Mine never flip back over. They lay there till they die or a crab comes along and kills them. If they are in the front and I see them, I flip em back over, most of the time, they are back behind the rocks.

Sunshine, Jan 14, 2010
  9. Ninja Spear

mng777777 Shark Wrangler Wannabe

as stated, if a snail is healthy it will right itself. I you are having to reach in to "help" it you are likely just postponing the inevitable.

mng777777, Jan 14, 2010
  10. Ninja Spear

Rcpilot

Thats not really correct.

Astrea snails cannot right themselves. It's well known. They have evolved to live on the coral reefs. 10's of millions of years of evolution. If they fall off the reef, the chances are so great that they will find something to attach their foot too and pull themselves upright - they never evolved the ability to flip themselves over when they land on the sand.

They just never evolved and "grew" the ability to right themselves from the sand bed because there isn't enough need for that little trick on a real coral reef. Anytime they take a tumble they are going to land on another rock or someplace where they can stretch out and grab something with their foot. They don't need the ability to right themselves from the sand bed because 99.99999999999999999% of the time they will land somewhere and still be able to grab hold and pull themselves up. The dumb or unfortunate ones (Darwin wins again) are naturally culled from the gene pool.

But our tanks are not natural. They can and do fall down into the sand bed where they cannot reach out and grab a rock or glass with their foot. They die as a result.

Rcpilot, Jan 14, 2010
    Sunshine likes this.
  11. Ninja Spear

Rcpilot

Did anybody bother to read the link I posted? :frustrat:

Rcpilot, Jan 14, 2010
  12. Ninja Spear

Pilot, I read about half of the article that link sent me to. Good Stuff. I think I need to acclimate my snails for longer than a half hour. Especially since the snails can live up to "a few weeks" before kicking the Bucket if not acclimated properly.
    Another thing, that Link was from an on line Monthly Magazine. I saved the link so I can look into that sight, pretty solid information.

Ninja Spear, Jan 15, 2010
  13. Ninja Spear

One other thought Ninja... Do you have any other inverts or clams that are surviving? I just got to thinking about your other thread, where you are making LR out of rocks you are harvesting from the wild. Maybe you are leaching heavy metals that are poisoning them.

mng777777, Jan 15, 2010
  14. Ninja Spear

rwynn Big Daddy

My crabs and snails get along pretty good, last night there were no less than 2 snails riding on the hermit crab's shells...kinda funny...goodluck with your snails!

rwynn, Jan 16, 2010
  15. Ninja Spear

I do have Small clams and Starfish that are Thriving in my tanks.
    I don’t think my rocks are the Problem. I don’t have that many left that I made. (I am due to make a new batch.) All the rocks I get are from a Creek bed that is Spring Feed. It might be the problem but I doubt it.

I just checked my Hydrometer and realized I have 2 of them. Both read differently, and their Ranges are Unacceptable. I have to get a new one and see what the deal is,

Ninja Spear, Jan 19, 2010
  16. Ninja Spear

dont waste money on another hydrometer, as you can see they wear out pretty quick. Get a refractometer once, and you'll be all set. As far as the rock goes, creek beds tend to be a naturally high source of concentrated iron, magnesium, and other heavy metals as they are usually fed from springs from below the earth's surface. If it's a "hot" spring, you can be sure that it's full of heavy metals as those are created by magma at the earths core when it interacts with water. It creates steam and upward pressure that drives nutrient rich water to the surface. If it's a mountain spring, it can be a similar issue. As the water travels through the rocks and soil below the surface it will carry nutrients and then deposit them in the creek beds as the water reaches the surface. All that to say that if you aren't sure of the purity of your rock, it's something that you may want to give a second thought to. Either way, I hope your luck with snail changes!

mng777777, Jan 19, 2010
  17. Ninja Spear

MEANDMYFISHTANKS

Do cerith snails drown? When they flip over like turbo snails i just got 20. Every mornin i come to check on them seems like ive got to flip 10 of them every time. Can they flip themselfs?

MEANDMYFISHTANKS, Jan 21, 2010
  18. Ninja Spear

No Idea If the Snails Flip back over, But I think I may have figured out a Problem with my Own Snails.

I got My New Refractometer Yesterday and My water was at 1.031 Salinity. Needless to say I was pissed off. I checked all my Hyrdometers and they were all reading Lower Salinity. </SPAN>

I took the Salinity Down a bunch and will have to do some more water Changes tonight; I hope that helps my snails.

Ninja Spear, Jan 25, 2010
  19. Ninja Spear

Ninja, Salinity changes need to occur slowly over several days. I hope that you took your time.

mng777777, Jan 25, 2010
  20. Ninja Spear

oops. I dropped the Salinity about .004 points yesterday, I was going to do the Rest tonight or tommorow.

Thanks For the Heads Up.

Ninja Spear, Jan 25, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question