My stocking list so far

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
So my hubby and I have been going over what fish we want in the 93g and this is the list we came up with. If you see any problems with it please let me know! I will list them in the order I want to buy them.

Lyretail hogfish(this one we already have, waiting on the tank to finish cycling before we put him in)
5 blue reef chromis
2 engineer gobies
1 neon goby(not sure about this one, could get lost in such a big tank?)
1 hybrid lemon peel angel
1 white tail bristletooth tang

Now of course that's not going to be added all at once. It will be over a period of time. Does this seem like an okay stocking list? I wanted to do a trio of anthias but I read they need a 125g tank? So I was thinking the blue reef chromis instead. Anyways, tell me what you think.

I think the chromis will end up killing one another off until only one is left.

Did you know about the engineer goby changing colors and patters from juvenile to adult? Just making sure you know they won't stay the same. :)

I think you are right to put a question mark next to the neon goby. I'm not sure you'd see it much.

Overall, list looks good.

I don't know how your rocks are but I heard that engineer gobies make burrows in the sand and I would hate for you to have a rock slide. But I'm pretty sure you know this and have accounted for it already. :)

I do hear about them killing each other off... I thought they were a shoaling fish? Maybe I won't get them.

Yes I do know about them changing as they mature. I actually like their adult form better :)

I saw the neon goby in a 120g system I feel like mine being a cube tank I wouldnt see

would that fully stock me or would I have room of I happen to see another fish I like?

Yep they are diggers. My hubby epoxied and siliconed all the rocks together knowing we would run into that issue.

I had a neon goby in my 28 that eventually got moved over into my 75. He was always out in front of the tank, especially when I was by the tank. I don't think I'll ever have a tank with out one. With all that being said, I've heard stories about engineer gobies eating smaller fish. I'd be worried about the neon eventually becoming lunch.

I do hear about them killing each other off... I thought they were a shoaling fish? Maybe I won't get them.

It seems hit or miss. Some people have them and they school, no problem. I was in that group -- over 10 years or so, I started with 5, and ended up with zero eventually. It took 10 years to get down to zero. I don't think they killed each other off, since I had them for so long. Other people see aggression right away. The smallest gets picked on right off the bat, then dies pretty quickly. Then the group moves on to the next smallest. You could try keeping them if you really want them, there's a chance they will all get along.

Since you seem to like the goby looking fish, and you like schooling fish (or pairs), have you thought of blue gudgeon dartfish or scissortail dartfish?

I also had a purple tilefish for a while. Until it jumped out of the tank and one of my cats bit its head off... That's a really pretty, unique looking fish.

Those are some good suggestions. I'll be sure to check them out. I really like anything that's different. There's so many choices! Lol thanks for all the input guys!

Brian maybe if I get the engineer goby and the neon close to the same time while they are both small the engineer wont eat him as he grows bigger? Just a thought. I like them they are adorable.

Live Aquaria says minimum 125, but then notes that a single anthias can go in a 25g, so I think it depends on how many you have. I think a typical harem is considered 1 male and 3 females. I would think a male and 2 females might be okay in a 90, or even just 2 anthias in a 90.

Yeah, I agree! I wish I had the room to add a few to my tank - maybe if I increase my sump size down the road I'll be able to :) The only downside is their feeding requirements, so if you get them, I'd add them later on your list once your tank is more established!

Oh Brittany, you always come up with the most interesting stocking choices. Can't wait to see your bristle tooth and that lemon peel is so fun.
I have always thought anthias were a bit more difficult, trying to remember what I've read. I'm sure you could add them last, and your tank will be more established by then. I'd be awesome if you could make the chromis school work. I know Little Fish does. I could not (shocking) and I've read lots of the bullying stories where others couldn't make it work, but, it's worth a shot right?

I would add the anthias later on when the tank is more established deffinatly. Idk about the chromis now. I don't want to end up wasting my money..idk have to think about them some more about them. I do try to pick out a good variety of fish. I really really wanted a purple tang but idk if my tank is big enough for one so I thought the bristletooth was a better fit. I really liked the picture that live aquaria had for it. I hope all of them are that pretty red color...

Back