my sump build

I use a suction bulb if my overfllow gets air bubbles. Noway am I tasting nasty saltwater with god knows what.

ok, so i've got to do the syphon thing, plus my overflow is constantly producing bubbles and collecting in the high point of my overflow tube. any remedies on how I can eliminate this? i'm not understanding what the powerhead would do for the bubbles. can someone explain?

the powerhead will keep large bubbles from forming and breaking the siphon, resulting in a flood. if you are getting bubbles from your return then you will need a baffle in the sump before the return pump.

ok, so i've got to do the syphon thing, plus my overflow is constantly producing bubbles and collecting in the high point of my overflow tube. any remedies on how I can eliminate this? i'm not understanding what the powerhead would do for the bubbles. can someone explain?

If you look at picture #2 at the start of this thread you will see a tube coming out the top of the overflow box. the place where this tube is attached is equivalent to the top of your 'U' tube (but it's formwed as part of a solid overflow box). The pump attaches to this tube and constantly draws water out of the top of the return - if air gets drawn in (bubbles collect) then it gets pumped out as well => air never accumulates to the point where it blocks it.

I have the same thing, but use an 'aqua lifter' pump that sits on top of the box: Tom Aquatics Aqua Lifter—Dosing Pump (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Overflow Box > Accessories )

You have a couple of options:
1) risky.. find a way to drill a hole in the top of your 'U' tube and attach a tube connected to a pump = modify it to be the same as above. The risk it that if you don't create a well sealed connection then air will get in at the top of your 'U'Tube and make any issue you have 100x worse!!
2) attache a long piece of tube to the intake of a pump (as above really, but the tube is not connected to anything). Now feed the loose end of the tube up into the 'U' tube so that the end sits at the top of the U. This should effectively do the same thing as 1), except that it won't keep 100% of the air out - but it should stop any disatster!!!

Back