My tang acting funny

FishTales

Reefing newb
I just put a Copperbelt butterfly into my tank and my yellow tang keeps backing his tailfin into the butterfly and will smack him around. They are not nipping each other. Anyone seen this?

yes , what i think is the yellow tang is trying to tell the copperBAND that hes boss , tangs are aggresive towards their own kind and the copperband may be a threat as far as the tang sees it , be careful that little white dot on the tangs tail is basically a blade and can/will kill whoever the tangs sees as a threat

Tangs are called surgeonfish for a reason, so it sounds like your tang is trying to go west side story on your copperband.

+2 jce -- watch out for the tang's barb.

Try rearranging rocks, or turning the lights out for a while. Copperbands are usually peaceful.

Thats how tangs defend themselves or pick on other fish, they use the spikes on the side of their tales as a weapon. Turn off the lights and re arrange some of the rocks to confuse the Yellow Tang

Sorry I know it's copperband (stupid autocorrect). This is very interesting. Probably because the copperband is a tad bit bigger than tang. Tang doesn't seem to mess with others.

Back