My Tang Has Ick

BigH55

I'm that guy
Well, I haven't had to deal with ick in a really long time and now my PBT has it bad. I think I will probably lose him in the next couple days. He has stopped eating and is respirating very heavily. Hopefully he pulls through but its not looking good. He won't even go to my pair of cleaner shrimp I put in there. Any tips guys.

the only thing i can say is medicate them all your fish and leave the tank empty for a while to kill it all and you will never have ich again until it is added by a unclean fish

Cant do that its in my reef tank. Also, I would QT it but I dont want to chase him around and stress him out even more. I wish I knew what the cause of it was.

I would QT him. He will have a better chance of surviving the stress of the chasing than the ick. Grab all your fish, QT and medicate them. Leave them in the QT for I beleive 8 weeks is the Life cycle of ick. Then reintroduce them to the display. The ick parasite will be dead since it couldnt find a host to feed off of. The tank will be clean and so will the fish. You wont deal with ick in that tank again unless an unclean fish is introduced.

Brian

There isn't much you can do at this point, if you can't catch the fish. It's a very sickly type of fish and they are extremely prone to ick. They usually don't do very well in our systems because of this.

Since it's not eating, it's only a matter of time, unless you can turn that around. Try soaking its food in garlic extract. Maybe pick up a cleaner goby or two.

It sounds as if it may be too late. Sorry. I used to have problems with ick and my Tangs so I finally got a very large UV light and never have had a problem since. I swear it works!

I hope your ABT pulls through.

Sorry to hear that bro...I know how hard it is to catch him in the reef tank, but if you can, get him out of there...if he die's in there, the other fish will get it also probably...good luck with whatever your decision is.

Well, if one fish has it, the other fish already have it as well, so that point is moot. But yes, if the fish does die in the tank and you don't have enough cleaners, then it could cause a parameter spike.

If you think it's as good as dead anyway.......... might as well catch it and put it in hyposalinity.

NEVER treat with hyposalinity AND copper at the same time. In other words, DO NOT add copper to a QT tank in a hyposalinic state. The copper is MUCH more active in lower salinity and will OD the fish and kill them.

Good luck. I've only had ick one time and it killed a beautiful flame angel......... on Christmas eve. :grumble:

If I could find the fish now i would pull him out. But, I have alot of rock and it is hard to find him. I do have alot of very large hermit crabs so i think they would make short work of the carcas if it does die. Time will tell. However, any fish that die will not be replaced. Eventually it will be a coral only tank or fish that serve some purpose in the reef. I havent lost a fish in two years and it sucks.

Sorry to hear Big h I was hoping you would have good luck with your Powder, unfortunetly as Biff said if you can't catch him and he's not eating you will lose him, powders are one of those fish that probably shouldn't be collected for sale.

I would try to catch him and as least give him a fresh water dip, to try and kill the parasites that are in his gills preventing him from breathing. You can also turn your lights off for a few days the ich parasite tends to not grow as fast in the dark.

Ich is one of those parasites that is almost impossible to get rid of, who ever comes up with a true cure will be rich!! As long as you keep all of your fishes immune system strong by feeding a high quality food with garlic and vitamins this will help with it.

Like Dcan says a UV or an Ozone generator will help trimendously. I run Ozone on my 850 and it does great but doesn't kill the parasite it help keep the aquarium healthier. One of the aquariums that we set up and do the maintenance on which is about 950 gallons has a UV on it and we have never seen ich on the fish in there.

I'm running ozone but I rehooked it up after the fact. He was a cool fish but he kind of becoming an asshole to the other tang. As long as my emp angel who is changing doesn't get it ill be okay. Since I haven't seen the big hermit crabs I assume they are having a fish dinner.

As long as your angel is eating good he should be fine. I would however add garlic and vitamins to their diet, if you don't do this already. That will help keep his immune system healthy.

You probably want to try and find the tang, was he small? sorry about your loss.

3-4 inches. Im gonna have to depend on the CUC to get it. There is no way to get behind the rocks to get it out. I would have to dismatle my whole reef.

Back