My tank currently

poolshark181

Reefing newb
Heres an update on the tank as well as the latest test readings. Im happy that my live rock is finally getting its color back, it looks by far better than the pale white it was =]

Ph = 7.8
Ammonia = 0.25
Nitrate = 10-20 (the coloring was in between the color codes of the test result card so i put it both in)
Nitrite = 0

How's everything looking? What part of the cycle am I in right now?

(28G)

Thanks alot! =]

Your ph needs to come up to 8.2 or 8.3, and your amonia should be 0 but alot of test kits read 0.25 even though it 0. Take a samp;e in to your LFS and have them test it. If everything tests good and you bring your ph up your done cycling. When you start adding stuff take it slow otherwise you stand a chance of cycling again due to the added bio load.

Just bring your PH up and have you LFS double check the ammonia.
Other than that,you should be good to go.

well, the tank has only been cycling for a little over a week... could it be done that fast? and i had damsels that died in there like, 5 days ago, i've left them in there to provide ammonia. should i take them out? im planning on 2 clowns, and a scooter blenny, and some cleaning crew

i would definitely take them out, you never know what other toxins those dead corpses are putting in your water

minor problem with that. i em. the other one disappeared . they died atcan only find one of th seperate times,so im not sure if the other damsel dragged the corpse somewhere else. should i rip apart my tank to find the other one?

I don't think there are any toxins in a dead damsel to worry about. It's the same idea as using a piece of shrimp to cycle. A dead body is a dead body :D. I'd just leave it in.

yeah, don't worry about the damsel in distress. as soon as you add a cleanup crew (such as hermit crabs) they will goble up any little leftover morsels of damsel corps.

I wouldnt add anything yet. Your tank might have cycled but the dead damsel might have added a bigger bioload and started a new cycle. I would take it out and check the tank in a few days, just to be on the safe side.

being patient is really the name of the game. i checked the parameters on my first tank and everything looked great. 4 weeks into it i thought i was ready for fish.... thought wrong. bought 2 firefish. both dead within 3 days. just try to take it easy and let your tank establish, then make sure you find a good harty cheap fish to start out your second round on just in case it ends up dying too. that way your not out a ton of money

I kinda find it funny what everyone goes threw to achive an ammonia spike..... I add liquid amonia (from my LFS) too my water when I start my cycle. Within three weeks I can completly cycle a tank so why go threw all this other crap when you can just pour some liquid ammonia in your tank!

yes this is true. though a shrimp for 10¢ is a pretty cheap idea. not sure if the efficency is faster. but you sure will get that spike, and while your at it you can pick up beer and chips cause your already at the store

not when there are multiple stops involved especially when gas is over three dollars a gallon. you would spend far more done mess with me. you have an entire river to cross to get to your lfs and you have that fred meyer that is a mere walking distance

Back