My Tank is Leaking

Sxybeemr325

Reefing newb
Yet, another issue..... My tank is leaking..... I loose about 5-6 inches of water a week..... The carpet under is soaking wet. I tried to do the outside with the silicone cocking, but it does not work!!!!!!:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:
I came to a end where I will buyanother tank (slightly bigger , probably 120-135 gallons) as it feels like I'm running out of space in the 90 gallons.... What is the best way to transfer your fish from one tank to another? Please keep in mind that the tank in what the fish are right now is leaking and that I can not have my new tank sitting tere for 4 months before I transfer my fish and corals in it...... Should I transfer all my water from my old tank and top off the rest with new mixed salt water? I will keep my sand and rocks..... I'd just appreciate tips on this one... maybe the "do's and don't" when transfering fish to another tank....

I had a tank leaked on me a couple of months ago.Sorry about what has happened,luckily you have an excuse to upgrade to a larger tank.

Put some of tank water in a bucket with all your livestock.Put a heater and a powerhead in there for circulation.While everything is in the holding tank put the sand,live rock and the rest of the water in the new tank.Fill the new tank with enough of new saltwater and wait til the temp is where it should be.It wouldn't be a bad idea to wait til the water clears up a little.Then put your fish/corals back in.

So in a nut shell.You don't have to wait months to put them back in.Your rocks and sand should keep it from starting another cycle.For me,I like to wait 24hrs just to get the temp,salinity and allow the water to clear before adding the critters back.

Good luck.

I started my 90 in one day. read my build thread labeled Dr Marco's Reef Build and you can follow what I did. It is easier to do than you think. I would not wait if you don't have to. a leaking tank is nothing to toy with. Although, have you found your leak? are you POSITIVE you know where it is coming from? I have thought my 125 was leaking twice. the first time it was a crack in the sump, which was a quick fix and the second time, it was the UV steralizer that was leaking outside the tank. Just checking

-Doc

Thanx for all the tips.... Everyone makes it seems fairly easy. I just spotted a 125 gallon tank on sale for boxing day:^:
I will most probably go and buy it (even tho the boyreind beleives this is an absolute waiste of money).... And yes, Even tho my tank is leaking and I'd prefer it NOT to leak, it is still a good reason to upgrade....:bounce: I'm sure my tang will be happ in a bigger tank... And more room for new corals... Like said, it is nothing to play with.... I have placed more silicone (probably the 3rd time that i'm going over all the edges..... And the leak seemed to have stopped or at lest slowed down.... I had a huge bucket under my tank filled with water!! Even tho my power cords are hanging with the dripping method, it almost catched on fire once!... And i woudn't like to be at work and have a phone call stating that my home is on fire... or to come back home to find an empty tank!! After all the $$$ and time invested in this tank....

As for the leak, I knows it leaks from somewhere at the back... Not sure of where exactly....But I m 100% positive that the leak is fron the tank as the water is dripping from my stand.... and my stand is rusting(not a good sign...) And the back of my tank (between the glass and the background) is soaking wet.... I hope I can do a smooth transfer... My biggest fear is to transfer the livestock... like the snails.... I hate pulling on them when they are sucktionned to the glass.... or the my serpent star is creeping me out.... I love seeing them in the tank but hate to handle those creatures.... :grumble:

I will defnetely take the time to read the articles posted on this thread tomorrow. But you people are giving me some hope... I just tought switching tank was going to be the biggest nightmare!!

Merry Christmas to all and thanks for the tips!! It is greatly appreciated...

Nice to hear from you again. Been awhile. Sorry to hear about the leak, and hope the move goes good for you. What is boxing day?

you will do just fine. I used three bags of live sand in setting up my 90, FYI. If you have specific questions along the way, let us know.

-Doc

Boxing Day is a public holiday celebrated in the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand and Australia and many other members of the Commonwealth of Nations on December 26, the day after Christmas Day;[1][2] or alternatively on the next weekday after Christmas.

oh, I was close

-Doc

HUH we mine as well start calling Christmas oopps I mean "Holiday season" boxing day. Seems these seems that might be politically correct enough for those anal A$$E$ over here. Ok vent over.LOL

yeah. I am a fan of just calling it Christmas. always has been in this country, always will be

-Doc

Thanx Yote! I have tryed a couple times coming on the site and it was not working... Was this site down for a while doring the summer time??

Just a note for everyone venting......Boxing Day does not replace Christmas, it is the Day after. It started in the Middle ages because servants were required to work on Christmas. The next day they were given off and sent home with a "Box" gift. It is celebrated in every English country other than the US. Nowdays it serves two purposes. It gives us another paid holiday during the year, and it gives the retailers to have post Christmas blowout sales...........:mrgreen:

Right!!!!! There is no boxing day in the usa????? lol.. i can t remember that... All I recall was the sales the usa have after thanksgiving..... I guess this would be somewhat comparable to our boxing day sales (on December 26th)

Right!!!!! There is no boxing day in the usa????? lol.. i can t remember that... All I recall was the sales the usa have after thanksgiving..... I guess this would be somewhat comparable to our boxing day sales (on December 26th)

Yeah,We call that Black Friday.Its the day that there aint no way I'm going near a store for any reason.

Yay!! Went to my LFS today and the 125 gallon tank and stand were still on sale for the boxing week! Must love this =) . I'm gonna go buy it tomorrow morning and slowly start on the transfer.... Hopefully everything will go smooth.... i"ll keep you posted.

Back