My tank stocking advice

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
46g tank, 2 true percula clowns, 1 flame angel, 2 cleaner shrimp (heard they don't add to bio load). No sump, no refugium or ato. Live rock and Live sand and also using a Eheim 2213 canister filter for added filtration. If I calculate this according to max size they can grow to I would be at 10" with just these 3 fish. About how many more fish/inches of fish do you expect could be obtained. I have heard many different rules of thumb, and others who say that as long as nitrates are low that you can "overstock".

Thanks,
Matt

I don't want firefish. For some reason they do nothing for me. I have no idea why. Maybe because they are skinny and small. I like fish that take up more space and are visible.

According to that rule then I am done at my two clowns and Flame Angel. Hmmm I don't think that is acceptable. I have heard of 14g nanos with 2 clowns alone.

I had 13 fish in my old 55 gallon tank... Not all small fish either. I pushed the limits, and paid for it with constantly high nitrates. You can add more fish than what you have. Let your water parameters tell you if you're overstocking or not. And if the fish are fighting.

Right now my main concern is corals so I am not in an immediate rush to get another fish, but at this point I just have no idea what to add. I don't want a firefish, lawnmower blenny, 6 line wrasse, chromis, or damsel. I really liked this 6" Midas Blenny at my LFS, but when I went back it was gone. I also really like the mandarins (who doesn't), but my tank is only 2 months in and doesn't have a refugium for copepods.

Looks like you've done some research. Have you checked out the other wrasses? Start off with a easy coral first like mushrooms or zoas. They both come in different colors.

I have a 7 polyp frogspawn, a ultra crocea clam, a green ricordia and a pink/blue ricordia. I like bright colors so I want a variety, but I also like to see them move so some that just look like sticks don't appeal to me.

Back