My very first coral

avery155

Reefing newb
So I went to my lfs and bought a rock covered with some hairy mushrooms! The centers of the mushrooms are a nice neon green, and boy to they look neat under my moon lights. I hope they are not in too much flow, they seem to be moving nicely and all of the heads have opened up, except for one. Which I might have squished a little? Not sure. Well sorry for the poor pics but here they are. I can't seem to master saltwater photos. They look so much better in my tank...

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

I love hairy mushrooms..I've got some (not nearly as much as you do) and they do look great under lunars. Congrats on the additions!. If and when you get some clowns you may have a 50/50 chance of them hosting the shrooms. That would be a good thing because you want to wait at least a year before introducing anenome.

P.S.- I have the same trouble with quality photos...

Well I already got two clowns, and they still haven't moved from the other corner of the tank. I almost put the mushroom there but I like it better where I put it. Maybe they will take a trip across the tank and visit it sometime...

Thanks everyone. I am really glad I picked them up. However when I went to feed my clowns this morning before work I noticed two or three of them didn't look too good. They looked droopey and all shrivled up. Maybe they weren't awake yet because just 2 actinic lights were on but all the other ones were opened up. What sucks is I won't be getting home from work untill midnight untill Saturday so it will be impossible for me to keep an eye on them when all the lights are on. I hope they are going to be ok.

I wouldnt sweat it. Mine take a while to swell back up in the day sometimes. should be just fine.

A good choice for your first coral I must say. A lot better than a lot of us who got a kenya tree and then could never get rid of the plague.

looks good. your rocks are very white. has your tank cycled yet? and if it has them how on earth are you keeping your rocks so clean? any thing that doent have coraline on it in my tank is either growing algea or has just fed something in the tank. Love the corals. those are a very nice addition

They will close up and shrivel at night, when the lights are off, and will take a little while to open back up again when the lights come on. That's normal.

I tested for phosphates two days ago and there was no phospahtes. The rock well I just got done blowing all the gunk off of them before I put the shrooms in.

So just a quick update. My few heads that didn't look too good yesterday morning looked nice and healthy this morning. So hopefully they will do good. Saturday I plan on getting some phytofeast to feed them every week. The lfs reccomended it.

Back