My White Anemone

algy1943

Reefing newb
016 (2).jpg

Has anyone else any expierence with white anemone's, sorry not the best photo

Bifferwine recons its unhealthy to the point of dying because the anemone is suffering from loss of all her zooxanthellae and when she dies will take every thing in the tank as well, but she is moving about a lot with the 2 clown fish making a nice fuss of her, do not really know what to do

algy1943 (Allen)

I have a seabae and when I got it, it was bright white...now it's light brown. From all the research I've done on it...light brown is a good thing. I'd have to agree with Capt.

Hi guys thanks for all the replys regarding the white anemone, since it being in the tank the 2 clown fish have taken residence and one of the clowns has become aggressive to me and will not allow me to put my hand in the tank without attacking it, any idea why

They are protecting their home.
I'm thinking like Biff.That anemone is in bad shape.It needs the right light and daily feedings until it's zooxanthellae comes back.

They are protecting their home.
I'm thinking like Biff.That anemone is in bad shape.It needs the right light and daily feedings until it's zooxanthellae comes back.
Thanks Yote, how many hours in the day would you keep the lighting on, do they want more bright white opposed to blue actinic. need advice to keep beryl the white anemone alive.
algy1943

It's not really about the color of the light or the length of time the lights are on. It's the lighting fixture itself. Anemones need stronger light than most corals do. If you have the wrong type of light fixture, changing the bulbs and increasing the time the light is on is not going to help.

What kind of light do you have?

It's not really about the color of the light or the length of time the lights are on. It's the lighting fixture itself. Anemones need stronger light than most corals do. If you have the wrong type of light fixture, changing the bulbs and increasing the time the light is on is not going to help.

What kind of light do you have?
2X Blue actinic and 2x white marine 10000K with reflectors which raise the power by 50% approx.
Thanks for your interest and continuous help, perhaps more thought on what was going in my tank before purchase would have paid off

algy1943:frustrat:

You only have a little more than 2 watts per gallon (66 gallons) which would be way short for an anemone. You would need a minimum of 4 watts per gallon, but preferably around 6 watts per gallon.

You only have a little more than 2 watts per gallon (66 gallons) which would be way short for an anemone. You would need a minimum of 4 watts per gallon, but preferably around 6 watts per gallon.

so do I just need to change the 2 lamps to 60w each? or what would you suggest and will this higher wattage be ok for the fish and corals?

The best it seems I can do is to purchase new lighting with 6 x 39w lamps, say 4 white and 2 blue? which would give me 234w if they were all on at the same time, these units are 900mm long and the ballast units inside are only designed to take 39w lamps, if this works would I need to have all 6 on for the day time duration and how long for or would I be able to have the 4 blue on at a different period to the white, is 8hrs per day long enough?

really appreciate your assistance and patience

algy1943 (Allen)

Back