My zoa's,and shrooms need something just dont know what

garydm

Reefing newb
Ok I have a small colony of zoa's the size of a matchbook and I have 2 flat rocks with about 5 mushrooms each on them…..now water quality is good all my tests come back good but the shrooms look kind of bleached out and the zoa’s seem to have stopped growing and don’t open up like they would when I first brought them home…..should I try and perk them up by feeding them or some kind of supplement…..I change the water once a week and everything seems healthy like fish and other polyps soooo anyone have some advice to get them growing and thriving

I took my water in to the local lfs and he said everything was ok but the phosphates are a little high....I used to test my own water but I found it easier to take a sample in when I got my water to do water changes....Ill have him write the numbers out...my algae problem is probably due to my phosphates level.....I have for lighting a nova extreme 6x 54w system.....and I have them near the top with medium flow....they seem more withdrawn and smaller than usual

You need to move them down to the bottom of the tank. The lights you have are very strong, and mushrooms and zoas are low to moderate light corals and need to be placed at the bottom of your tank.

+1 Biff
With the lights you have,Those zoas are tanning rather nicely being that high in the tank.
Something most folks dont think about with T-5s,but all your new additions have to be acclimated just as if you were burning metal halides.

wow Ive had them there for a while hope there ok......Ill move them near the bottom and see how they do.....I did notice today that they split and I have 2 new ones ill try and get a shot of them

excuse the algae background its now under control......these are from when I first brought them home
Picture015.jpg

wow Ive had them there for a while hope there ok......Ill move them near the bottom and see how they do.....I did notice today that they split and I have 2 new ones ill try and get a shot of them
They will be just fine, just move them as suggested and they will be ok.

They'll be fine. I got some of those with the yellow skirts and orange centers. I think your look good. If they are sprouting new polyps they can't be too unhappy. :D

Yeah - your lights are bright as hell!! But thats a good thing. You can do clams and SPS in there. :bounce:

Attachments

• IMG_3810.JPG
    IMG_3810.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 255
yea there is a guy on craigslist that is getting out of the hobby and he is selling alot of zoa's and star polups for cheap....Im buying a rock the size of your fist covered with eagle eyes for $50.....he has a 110 gallon fully stocked hes selling all its contents and then the tank and all the acs

well just picked up my rock with the zoa's on it and it has a flock of star polyps and when he was removing a batch on top that he was selling they ripped and I have 3 extra I didnt pay for.....Oh and when I got the rock home I found a turbo snail hanging on for dear life.....not a bad haul

best part was around here there selling for about 15$ a polyp or 8 if you catch a sale at the LFS so thank you craigslist

Back