Mysis shrimp babies

RockStacker

Reefing newb
More spawning action in my reef tank. Perhaps the cooling weather has convinced my inverts to start getting in the mood :)

You can only see the baby shrimps that are reflecting the flashlight, but they were everywhere.
I wonder how my fish will react when they wake up in the morning.

Pretty cool! I read somewhere that they will reproduce untill their food supply run out then they turn on each other and population goes back to almost nonexistant. Mine liked to hang out under the maxi minis.

Pretty cool! I read somewhere that they will reproduce untill their food supply run out then they turn on each other and population goes back to almost nonexistant. Mine liked to hang out under the maxi minis.

Cannibalism amongst mysis is common in a breeding setup, where the densities are beyond natural levels.
In a reef tank, the mysis are more likely to be eaten by the fish before they could cannibalize each other.

I do not even see that kind of adult density in my tank (referring to your video). I would see maybe groups of two or three at certain areas of the tank, and then they hide.
So this baby swarm was quite a surprise. I am sure my fish and some of the corals will be happy to get some live food. And if this happens at some degree of frequency, even better :)

Also, I did not intentionally introduce mysis shrimp into my tank.
The only explanation would be hitchhikers among the corals that I have added to the tank. Somehow, some made it through my dipping routine for new corals.

When I dip the corals and see mysis and copepods swim out of the rocks/frag plugs and die, I'm like "No! not the good guys too!", but dipping is indiscriminate and I would rather dip than risk introducing something really bad into my tank.

Back