mysterious... thingy.

tankedchemist

Reef enthusiast
what is this? they're blue, and I just noticed them crop up by my zoas... alongside that lovely aptasia....

mystery.jpg

and here's the photobomb by the clown fish, but they're the best in focus pic I could get:

mystery2.jpg

Best advice I can give you is to take that rock out, then cover them with some super glue gel.

I have had some success with using apstasia X on them, I do have some in the middle of a zoa colony and have used that since the super glue would be too messy.

I have those in my tank. I scraped them off along with some rock substrate. They did come back but it took about 4 months. They dont seem to spread very fast in my tank. But they do sting other things. I maybe have 10 or 20 and my rock came from a 6 year old tank.

I don't think they all sting, I've got a pretty bad case of brown oens on a rock I can't remove, and they brush up against corals regularly. They do spread fast so if you can get them now you will be much better off. I was able to get rid of them in some areas with a toothbrush in a bucket, but they eventually spread back to the area. Aiptasia-X works for a while, but they do come back. I'm hoping that once I get a true low nutrient environment going they'll die off.

Oh, there is a nudibranch that eats them but I haven't been able to find one to buy:

Morphologic Blog Blog Archive ‘The Lynx Nudibranch’

Cool video though if you haven't already seen it.

Basically aiptasia on steroids, I've never had them, but if it isn't a big rock with lots of good stuff, you could just pull the rock out.

it's a 20 lb rock with two large colonies of zoanthids on it.

I'm wondering if, like the cyano, this will go away now that I have an RODI unit that functions properly. Some people (HydrozoanFAQs) claim that hydroids went away when nutrients are more limited.

I have also read that people chisel of chunks of rock that have the hydroids on them. That would suck, but it's better than losing the entire ginormous rock, right?

it's a 20 lb rock with two large colonies of zoanthids on it.

I'm wondering if, like the cyano, this will go away now that I have an RODI unit that functions properly. Some people (HydrozoanFAQs) claim that hydroids went away when nutrients are more limited.

I have also read that people chisel of chunks of rock that have the hydroids on them. That would suck, but it's better than losing the entire ginormous rock, right?

A chisel could work. If you're a bit careful, you might not even mess up your rock so much maybe.

They also look small enough to where you could individually pull them with tweasers.

there's at least 40 of those things.

also, I've read that they bore pretty deep into the rock, so removing them from the surface is only a temporary solution

I have scraped them off with some rock before. They did come back. I think it would be better if you could chip a larger piece of rock off.

I think if you were going to try and scrape/chip anything off, it would be easier to get the zoas off and glue them on another rock.

A chisel could work. If you're a bit careful, you might not even mess up your rock so much maybe.

They also look small enough to where you could individually pull them with tweasers.

Tweezers work but you have get as close to the base as possible. They have a root structure that goes well into the rock and if you miss any they will come right back.

Back