N00BiE here!

WannaRace

Reefing newb
Hey all! Before I get started, I know all about the warnings on how hard it is to maintain a 10 gallon tank, but thats what I chose! I have 12lbs of live rock, marine sand, Coral Life 9W 10000K PC, and Aquaclear 30 power filter. I am about only 1 week in with my clownfish that is doing great! I wanted to know what I could do to brighten up my tank and add lots of color?

Welcome to the site. let your system mature for about 3 months and if your water parameters are good some zoo's or mushrooms might be the ticket. good luck keep us posted.

welcome!!..i have too a 10g that is cycling..first , give us more info about what filters are you using, do you have a salt water test kit??....if your planning on having some corals probably youll need to upgrade your ligths..glad you found LR..we will help you in any way we can!!..

Welcome to the site!! Nothing wrong with a 10 but like you said it can be a bit more challeging. Well for color you can add small bright color fish, corals when the tank is ready, and the live rock should help alot.

Hello and welcome! Take it slow, that's especially important with a small tank like yours, there isn't much room for error.

A tank dont have to be 100 gallon plus to be awesome.Smaller just means you have to stay on top of it.
Every body else has already got you pretty well covered.Just Remember to take it slow.

Welcome to the site.There's nothing wrong with a nano.Personally,I would upgrade the lights and when the time comes add small soft/LPS corals that would add color to the tank.A few more pounds of live rock wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks guys, I'm glad I didn't get bashed for the nano tank :) My PC has a white light and a blue light, which I'm guessing is the actinic light? I like the way it makes the tank look. I'm planning on upgrading the tank to a 20 gallon already!! After more live rock, live sand, and water, what light would be sufficient for corals in a 20 gallon?

Depends if you want a 20 long or a 20 high. I think a 20 high is 24 inches long, and there are many light that fit that size. I would go with a 24" set of t-5s or a cheap 24 set of power compacts. Shouldnt cost too much for a 24 " set, you could check ebay or craigslist. I know there is a nice 24" set by me for $40. Before you buy ask here about the light you want and some one can give good advice on if its good or not. So keep us posted when your ready and we'll be more than glad to help.

Well the tank would be 20 gallon long for sure. Is there a vendor list on this site that supports this site? I need some trustworthy places online to research these products.

30'' long...
They don't make a fixture in that length.There maybe other choices or ways around it...

Good luck again.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the T-5 HO 24" suffice in a 20 gallon tank? They just attach to the outside of the tank in the back right? Which means fitment wouldn't be an issue if I just have a plain glass top..

I think they go on the left to right edges. The only light I have seen that gos on the back is the viper metal halides, and IMO a MH would be too much heat for a 20.

That 24 inch light with 2 65watt bulbs will be enought to keep quit a few corals mainly softys. To me they do seem high. I would look around more for the same kind of light or t5s and I'll bet you'll find abetter deal, but the light is a good one.

Back