Name of a good protein skimmer..

fishmom

Certified Hospice Nurse
I will be getting a protein skimmer for my 55 gallon tank.....I am new at this and feel sure the fella at the LFS will want to sell me something I may not need....
I want to go 'armed' with a bit of information and knowledge. Any suggestions for a brand--type--pricing?

Also...I am a bit hesitant about buying anything from PetCo....just had bad advice from the little guys. I like to get to Fintastic in Charlotte occasionally. What would they carry in stock that would be suitable for this situation.

and...can someone help me explain--to my hubs-- the concept of dumping the canister filter and changing over to the protein skimmer.

I have had good experiences with the reef octopus skimmers. The seals could need replacing eventually on those if you need to clean them often. I currently use a Lifereef brand skimmer that came with a custom sump build, it's a wonderful thing with a drain valve and tube coming out from the collection cup so it's easier when there is a large amount of collected waste. Canister filters are better suited for freshwater tanks, waste can build up there if you don't clean often enough inside. get more live rock if you want filtration and beneficial bacteria.

Aren't those Lifereef skimmers practically hassle free?

If you don't have a sump then you are limited to just a few good HOB skimmers.The Reef Octopus line of HOB skimmers are your best bet.

yeah I never touch the inside reaction chambers of the lifereef skimmer, it seems to clean itself. With the drain valve and plumbing all I do is put the tubing into a jug, collect the liquid waste in there and toss it out when it gets full and wipe the inside of the collection cup to remove any solids that settled in there. with the HOB skimmers I had before I always needed to take the thing apart to clean out stuff practically every week.

Not sure I could afford the Life Reef skimmer right now--If I were to get a "good" skimmer could I still also run the canister filter? Would adding the protien skimmer "help" the canister filter by "pre-cleaning" the water being filtered? Or have I got my thinking screwed up?

You folks are sooooo great! Thanks again and again!

Actually don't run the canister at all or use it a few days a month to polish the water,ie run carbon,filter floss.Canisters aren't really use in saltwater systems because trapped debris can raise nitrates and the longer it runs the more of a biological filter it becomes.In saltwater live rock is the biological filter.

BTW,the skimmer removes the protein(nutrient)) before the biological filter can breakdown nutrient into nitrate.

Good vid on setting up a skimmer and tuning it.

Also makes me want to get an SWC, I'm about to throw my vertex out the window.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLAgZopwyDM"]YouTube - Setting Up a Cone Protein Skimmer[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6_t5ziZ3vU&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:
Back