Name of Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Ok yeah so uh I don't have a photo but today I went to buy some food for my fish and they had this amazing looking fish there.

I think he said it is from Africa.

I was red, blue and yellow and had small white spots on it like a marine beta.

It may of had some other color but those 3 were the main ones.

It was $39 but I can't buy it with no info but I forgot the name of it because we were talking about stuff way after that.

He also had a 2x250MH 48" with two non working T5s for $95. I mean that is el cheapo if all it needs is a ballast for the T5's.

Thats a great deal on the light fixture i would be concerned about how old the other bulbs are as well but still a great deal.

I know he said he tried putting new T5s in but they still didn't turn on and I saw new boxes with MH bulbs taped to the box.

What are the cost of new good MH Bulbs and how big of a deal is fixing the T5 Ballast. I doubt I would buy it cuz I will be getting a 180Gal and the 48" won't fit it right.

Unless I strap it to the canopy. Ugh I do not know what I will be doing with that part just yet and I am hoping to find a setup with the fixture.

The fish is probably a miniatus grouper. I don't recomend getting it since they get up to 14" and need 180 gallons. They'll also eat any small fish or crustations.

Ok I just called and the fish is a Divided Leopard Wrasse

I currently have:

Mated Clowns
Hippo Tang
2 Damsels(leaving soon)
Royal Gramma
Flame Angel
Coral Angel
6 Line Wrasse

I plan on getting
Naso Tang
???? Tang

So will this fish be ok with the rest of the community especially the other Wrasse. They do not even look the same to me like in the same family but I guess they are.

I was also going to scoop up a Green Chromis because its colors are so cool but they 12 at the store seem to swim all together. Do these do better as a pair?

Kind of off topic, but I wanted to share this after looking at your stock list

You have a Naso tang on your stock list, and going by your signature, you have an 80 gallon tank. That is MUCH too small for a naso. I have a Naso in my 180, right now he's about 6 inches long he already seems cramped. I'm currently looking for a local reefer with a larger system to rehome him

You can keep Chromis singly or in odd numbered schools, even numbers generally lead to bullying until there is an odd number (usually single) chromis left

Kind of off topic, but I wanted to share this after looking at your stock list

You have a Naso tang on your stock list, and going by your signature, you have an 80 gallon tank. That is MUCH too small for a naso. I have a Naso in my 180, right now he's about 6 inches long he already seems cramped. I'm currently looking for a local reefer with a larger system to rehome him

He says he plans to get one. I'd hope after his upgrade. However he does have a Hippo in his 80 :grumble:

Hmm I am not to worried about the care level as I don't see why they assume you have to be doing this for 15 years to be able to care for it or however long it takes to be an expert.

With that said, maybe I should read up on other people who may have them to see how it is going. I do not want to get it if I can't take care of it, easy or expert care.

It is really cool to look at though so it will probably not make it to my tank.

Grumble all you want the Hippo will be moving in 2 months.

And yes the 80 gallon is the reason I do not have the Naso Tang now. I saw it and knew I could not get it.

I already have the plan of buying the Naso the day I move the fish to the 180 Gallon. I am hoping to find a smaller one near the same size as the Hippo which is maybe 1/5 inches now.

I don't plan on getting the 180 I am getting the 180 or maybe a 200, whichever seems like a better deal. I was looking at a 265 with stand for $800 but it is to much tank for me.

Hmm I am not to worried about the care level as I don't see why they assume you have to be doing this for 15 years to be able to care for it or however long it takes to be an expert.

LMAO, why does this particular statement not surprise me?

Ok I just called and the fish is a Divided Leopard Wrasse

I currently have:

Mated Clowns
Hippo Tang
2 Damsels(leaving soon)
Royal Gramma
Flame Angel
Coral Angel
6 Line Wrasse

I plan on getting
Naso Tang
???? Tang

So will this fish be ok with the rest of the community especially the other Wrasse. They do not even look the same to me like in the same family but I guess they are.

I was also going to scoop up a Green Chromis because its colors are so cool but they 12 at the store seem to swim all together. Do these do better as a pair?

Those wrasse are extremely hard to care for. Liveaquaria says expert only and when they say it, they really mean it.

Chromises can be kept alone just fine but they're good schooling fish so some people like to keep them in groups of 4 or more. But sometimes they don't get along well and end up killing each other until there's only 1 or 2 left.

Your upgrading to a 180, right? If so, you can add quite a bit more than what you have and a couple tangs.

Edit: Oh, I didn't see the other posts...

Probably because you think everyone besides you is an idiot.

Gee, chill out...

Last edited:
Probably because you think everyone besides you is an idiot.

Not true. However I have seen people give you advice over this forum, and you most often than not don't want to hear it, and certainly don't follow it.

I also have to assume that you had the Hippo before your thought about upgrading because you "really think it's a cool fish" and wanted one no matter what. Now that you are upgrading, he will be happier once in the bigger tank.

I didn't buy the Hippo before I thought about upgrading because I think it is a cool fish, I actually told my wife before I bought it that we would have to get our bigger tank a lot sooner once I get it.

I was upgrading so that I could get a Naso Tang and wanted to get the Hippo because it was really tiny. I did not buy it without knowing it needs a bigger tank and actually made sure my wife knew it so she could not delay me buying one.

So now that you know stop worrying about it because I am sick of hearing about it. This is not the only forum in town and while some people say don't do it many others said if you do not to wait long to get the bigger tank it's ok and I don't think I am waiting too long.

Maybe I will add that to my signature.

I am sure you can provide me with the advice I didn't want to hear or follow. I may have other people I talk to on other forums as well. Just don't forget to get the links to the advice you are talking about.

Lastly, I have already read many people who have problems with the Wrasse and some who don't. I came here to see about it. Did I say, hey I am buying it and don't care. I would not have even asked.

Next time you put up a quote why don't you include the whole thing

"Hmm I am not to worried about the care level as I don't see why they assume you have to be doing this for 15 years to be able to care for it or however long it takes to be an expert.

With that said, maybe I should read up on other people who may have them to see how it is going. I do not want to get it if I can't take care of it, easy or expert care.

It is really cool to look at though so it will probably not make it to my tank."

It really makes your statement sound messed up and like you just pick one line out of the total statement to make yourself sound cool.

I basically said I wouldn't get it didn't I. Did a fly go past your face and you forgot to read my whole statement.

That is why I got pissed off because you single out the line about expert care but leave out that I won't be getting it.

EDIT: I even asked about the Chromis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back