Nano cube modifications

geauxlsu

Reefing newb
I have begun modifying my nano cube. I started by installing a media basket with filter floss,chemi pure elite, and purigen. I removed the stock sponges and ceramic rings. I have a hydor koralia nano 420 with reef keeper lite as wavemaker. I have pc lights that I am looking to upgrade. A skimmer may also be necessary down the road.

I am a little discouraged with my lighting set up. The local fish store sold me a mpac 120 wat led. I am not satisfied with it because of the high fan noise. Otherwise I think it puts out enough light. I am thinking about going to a JBJ Viper 150 W mh set up. I know I will have to replace the bulbs a couple times a year, but at least I won't have to hear the fan noise. My aquarium is in the living room, so I don't want things to be too noisy. Please let me know what y'all think.

I had that same mh fixture over my 29 gal reef with great results. The noise was never an issue, but the heat can be. Mine had a fan installed onto the fixture that I was able to control and turn off if I wanted, but it wasn't loud at all to me.

Thanks for the reply, did you have an issue with the heat of the fixture or was there a water temperature problem with your metal halide light? I am hoping that removing the existing lid and installing the Viper and a fan would allow me to use the reef keeper as the temperature controller. I am also considering something like the panorama Pro LED fixture.

Russell

Back