Nano Cube

jhnrb

Reef enthusiast
Several members have inquired about getting into the saltwater hobby for under 500 dollars and were interested in a small set up to start. so here it is.

NANO CUBE - 12 GAL - 48 WATT COMPACT FLUORESCENT AND LED - 179.99 / CABINET STAND 28"H X 18" W X 16" D - 74.99 / ACCESSORIES - 39. TOTAL SETUP NANO CUBE DELUX - UNDER $ 300 + SHIPING + TAX.

SO WHERE DO YOU GET THIS DEAL. CHECK OUT THAT FISH PLACE - 1-888-842-8738 - www.thatfishplace.com.

hope this helps those looking for a small out of the box unit.

just a heads up on the nanocube.... i have been noticing more and more posts on ppls nano cubes cracking. i have also noticed that this has been the tank refered to the most when a person is lookn to go the nano route because of the cracking issue: Current USA Aquapod 12 - 2 x 27w Sunpaq Compact Flourescent

Last edited:
naturally if it is not understood, information on where to find stuff is not an endorsement of the product. each individual must investigate the product and decide for themselves if the product is suitable for their needs. always make sure there is good support of the product before purchase just in case something goes wrong. thanks for the heads up and additional setup sabotaged. ill check into the cracking issue also. will post finding.

Aquapod 24 gallon

i also been noticing alot of reports about the nano cubes cracking..i am looking into buyign one..but not sure now....when i do get one it will probably be through fosters and smith....so if u can find out more on the crackign issue please let us know :grumble:

JbJ Lighting the makers of Nano Cube made many thousands of Nano tanks but hearing from many reefers, that nano cubes that makes the 12 gal and 24 gal tanks seems to crack. it matters alot on how thick is the acrylic materials.

Oceanic Systems has 3 different sizes to fit your needs. it has a good rating pump, excellent lighting good biological filteration and it also contain two moonlight made by coralife.

i would go for a manufacturer who has been around a while like coralife.

hope this helps out the findings of tech's and questions you looking for...

Remember if cheap is what you want, then cheap is what you will get/ or, you get what you pay for. just thought i would throw that in. always buy the best you can afford. you will be ahead in the long run. all I can find out is not brand specific, but I agree the cracking seems to be of units with thinner acrylic. and it is not recommended to madify the lighting on out of the box systems (nano, nano, nano) the additonal heat may exceed the units saftey design range and cause failure i.e. cracking. hope this helps.

I have had the 29G BioCube for 2 months and it has performed well. Some have said the lights have shorted out but I think they are turning the hood horizontal or upside down and letting condensation get in the wires. (Also, either keep the thing filled with water or take the charcoal filter out, otherwise the pump will spurt air and salt build-up). Many take the filter out permanently, but in my tank the charcoal filter has done a great job of getting the visible particles and they occasional dog hair out.

One of the best ways to save money is to use one third dead coral rock and two thirds live rock. You can also mix 2/3s live sand and 1/3 plain "marine sand". Get only the tests you need, Ph, Nitrates, salinity and Ammonia. Get other tests later if they are needed. There is a lot of extra crap you can buy that is not a necessity -and stores love to sell you this stuff.

if i were you i would get a aquapod 12. better lighting, more modable, and it is 1.5 inches wider. the nanocube is 15 x 15, and the aquapod is 16.6 x 15. the aquapod is also cheaper in price. i had my aquapod for 2 weeks and i couldent be more satisfied.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 12 gallon "Cube Masters" nano sold by Ocean Pro Aquatics? Sells for about $90 as a complete unit, and is made of glass. I'm seriously considering purchasing one, but I figured it might be one of those "too good to be true" things...

Thanks!
Kirk

It's pretty stinkin' slick (at least to a noob like myself). It comes with 4 chambers in the back for a 'fuge, filter, and pump - or you can remove part of it and make it two small and one large chamber. Three T5 8-watt bulbs (included) with another two bulbs for free for a total of 24 watts power - they also give you like three different types of bulbs.

The pump claims over 400 gph, I would suspect it to be lower than that. Also contains some filter stuff, and "bio pearls" which I have no experience with, but I suspect are smaller versions of bio balls.

It's $89.99 with all that stuff, and pretty much everything is built into the hood. They claim it's better than the JBJ in almost all regards.

Here's a link:

http://www.oceanproaquatics.com/shop/nano-tank-cube-masters-2008-release-moon-lights-p-3182.html

Thanks, guys

So I'm guessing no one has used one. Hmmm, that makes me only slightly more hesitant to buy one - but for that price I'm still thinking I might...

Well, even if no one has any experience with them - what do the experts here think just by looking at it? Is this something you would purchase? Is there anything about it you think should be upgraded or changed?

I'm ready to pull the trigger today, and can do a write up on it when I get it...although I am not sure a write up from a newb like me would have much value here?

Well, by the time I made my decision yesterday, I hadn't heard back from anyone, so I figured "better safe than sorry" and ordered a JBJ 12 from my LFS.

So I guess all that was for nothing? :) Hopefully it's a good deal and someone on here gets one, though.

The nano cube is made of glass, not acrylic. At least mine is made of glass. My friends did crack pretty bad, but it was empty, and it was outside in his garage in the winter, he brought it in the house and it cracked... Thats my only experience with a nano cube breaking. I hope to god it stays that way, I have 5000$ worth of electronics directly under or next to mine...

i think his just cracked do to a fast swing in temperature. and thats one reason i dont put mine next to my electronics knight. if mine cracked or broke i would lost 20 or 30 thousand in electronics

Right now im confined to 1 room... Got my TV and sound system and all that. I'm moving into a house/duplex in less than 4 months, and I'll have more room for all my stuff. Until then I just hope it doesn't break.

Back