Nano gobies

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
LA just got in the next fish I plan to add to my 90g and I'm probably going to place an order tonight for that fish, and figured I'd love to get another one for my 10g while I'm at it. I had been looking at the orange striped prawn goby for my 10g, but it is out of stock today (was in stock yesterday :grumble: ). So now I need back up ideas. The ones that are in stock that I'm thinking about are the yasha goby or the Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Two Spot Goby Has anyone had experience with the two spot? The description says difficult but I can't figure out why... Any other ideas?

Yeah, I've thought about the green banded a lot.... but the catalina goby (unfortunately) does better in cooler temperate tanks rather than the 80 degrees my tank tends to run.... And the yasha's are really cool. My only concern with the yasha is that they are teeny and my blenny might give it a hard time.... not sure I want to spend $50 for a fish if I'm not sure it will hold its own.... the other two fish I've considered are Tanaka's pygmy wrasse and the swales basslet.... hard to know what to do. And darn it, only a few more days to add live stock to the 10g for the contest LOL

They can be very difficult to get eating and tend to starve to death, especially in small tanks.

Okay, thanks Biff... I kind of thought that might be the case given the mention of having a "populated refugium" in the description, but there wasn't a mention of difficult feeding so I wasn't 100% sure.

We were talking about those pygmy wrasses in chat one day, apparently they are hard to find :( Its a pity too because it was the one wrasse i was considering

LA has them frequently, and one of my LFS's will get them occasionally. They're easier to find then several of the fish on my stock list!

Well, I made a spontaneous trip to my least favorite but closest LFS tonight just to see what they had in stock. They had a *very* tiny orange striped prawn goby, but priced twice what LA wants for it. They also had the orange spotted goby, which I also considered but it was ridiculously priced, and a couple of swales basslets that were surprisingly reasonably priced (but still higher than I've seen them elsewhere locally). They also still have the pink skunk pair that I've been eyeing for well over a month now, and almost pulled the trigger on but held off. And they had very tiny sexy shrimp which I want to put in my 10g, but they too were double what LA wants for them. Ultimately I came home empty handed but with a better sense that I do indeed want the orange striped prawn goby, so will just have to wait. This probably means I won't be adding another fish to my 10g before Aug 1st, or the sexy shrimp, but that's okay. I'm just going to hope LA still has the fish I've been waiting for for my 90g in stock when the time comes to buy the prawn goby. I'm a bit disappointed but think this is a better plan. As an aside, how do you guys think the pygmy wrasse or swales basslet would do with the sexy shrimp?

Thanks for the heads up, Fishy! I have been wanting an Orange stripe for my 90 for ages, and haven't been able to get one. LA is always out when I can afford the shipping, and my LFS sells every one they get in within a few hours of arrival (and I never purchase a fish the same day it arrives at the store). But today, the stars aligned just right, and they had both the Orange stripe and the Cream angel I had been looking at, and I could afford them, and getting two fish was totally able to justify the shipping! You ROCK, Fishy!

Thanks for the heads up, Fishy! I have been wanting an Orange stripe for my 90 for ages, and haven't been able to get one. LA is always out when I can afford the shipping, and my LFS sells every one they get in within a few hours of arrival (and I never purchase a fish the same day it arrives at the store). But today, the stars aligned just right, and they had both the Orange stripe and the Cream angel I had been looking at, and I could afford them, and getting two fish was totally able to justify the shipping! You ROCK, Fishy!

Sweet!! I know, I feel like the stars aligned for me too when they had the pink spotted watchman (which they haven't had for months) and then got the orange stripe in - I had to place the order (and the pom pom crab and meat coral I wanted were still available too from DD)!! Can't wait to see your cream angel, and (our) twin orange stripes! Pics when the arrive on Tues! :)

Back