Nassariuse Snails !!

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
So i recently got about 30 tonga nassariouse, at first i got 10 then went back and piked up some more a couple days later, Well when i feed the tank i only ever see maybe 5 come up out of the sand ??? Where are the rest is it ok that there not comming up ???? I see only the same ammount out at night like 5 or 6 at time but never see them or even close to all of them out ???? Could they be dead ???? If so should i look for them in the sand ????

Should i maybe drop a couple piece of squid and shrimp down to the sand and see if more come out durring lights out ??

I don't know where they are. Normally, all of mine would come out to eat. But I definitely wouldn't go looking for them in the sand. That will just stir crap up in your water.

Are the tongan snails the giant ones? If so, I added a handful to my tank and I swear half of them stay buried in the sand during feeding and only come out like once a week. I know they aren't dead because they'll change locations, but they aren't like the small ones that consistently come out as soon as food hits the water! Maybe they're just finding a whole bunch of stuff in your sandbed to keep them fat and happy?

When I had my 30G, I had probably 15 - 20 of them added in. When I took down the tank two years later, I had not seen a single one, and found them all alive and thriving in the sand.

Well this morning i put in a coupke chunks of squid. And i got about 10 of them to come out. I really hope there just in the sand bed and not dead. This kinda sucks do cuse now i dont know whether to get more or not.

Also i have 2 conches now ones alwys under the sand moving around and one is alwus on the top just sliding arround and eating with its trumpet. Why do they do this difrently

i had a queen conch in a shell about 4-5 inches long. Never buried itself but would get stuck all the time lol it was a voracious eater and cleaned the sand wonderfully. I think my CBS got a hankering for conch. She died shortly after i added the CBS.

Well so far i still have about 8 to 10 of the tonga snails that still come out, i think the guy at the shop just got a bad batch or something, Most of his have died also. All my other snails seem to be doing great. Eating up a storm and everything. Im still thinking it might have to do with Phosfates, Today i added a couple things of chemy pure elite, hopefully that helps for a bit untill i can get the reactor going with GFO this next week.

They bury themselves in the sand, and mostly come out at night (or when the tank is fed) Have you tried looking for them a few hours after lights out?

You forgot to paint numbers on them so you can tell it different ones are coming out.

DON'T do that, I'm being a smart ass.

Look around for their snorkels.

Back