Nasty filmy crap on the surface.

Keaton

Reefing newb
I modded my overflow by drilling small holes in it to increase water flow and to provide multi-directional pull from the water column. The problem i'm running into now is that it isn't pulling the crap off of the surface. My return line from my sump is pushing it into one corner so I can collect it with a net but i still don't like it. My question is will a HOB surface skimmer take care of that? Sounds like a dumb question but i don't have any experience with it. Thanks in advance.

I need the extra flow though or my return pump outpaces my overflow. I guess I'll just have to get a new overflow.

I have a loc-line valve on my return but I like the 750gph from my return especially since i only have one powerhead atm.

Where exactly did you drill the holes? because if you lose your power, thats how far down your tank will drain before it stops.

Ya Bob I found that out the hard way already lol. I then modified the siphon tube so it wouldn't reach down so far. It was a disaster.

You can either replace the overflow with a higher rated one, or add an additional overflow to the system. most overflows with a single tube are rated max. 600 gallons. good luck. keep us posted. Check out cpr overflows. they have some dual drain models that should accommodate your flow ratings.

Back