NCPARS Spring Frag Swap at Penn State U

ccCapt

Reef Hacker
Just in case anyone is local, NCPARS is having their spring frag swap at Penn State U on April 18. Eric Borneman will be the guest speaker.

I'm thnking of trying to make it. Capt you guys always seem to put on a great swap with a great speaker instead of the typical flea market

I'm thnking of trying to make it. Capt you guys always seem to put on a great swap with a great speaker instead of the typical flea market
I think the good speakers always helps get more people interested. The PSU swap is a nice setup. The swap itself is in a lab bldg, the HUB center with the 500g reef is only a few mins walk and they have PSU's Creamery ice cream. Mmmmmmmmmm Peachy Paterno....lol
Does NCPARS have a website? I would like some info.
NCPARS website is www.ncpars.org Not much activity on that site, but you can join the club and pay for swap admission there.
The Reef Central NCPARS forum has more activity.
To check what's available at the swap, go to www.fragswapper.com

Just in case anyone may be going. The flyer isn't complete yet as they don't have the definite schedule or full list of donations for the raffle, but we wanted to at least get something out now. I will update the flyer as the final info is confirmed.

NCPARS_spring-swap09.jpg

(don't say anything...I made the flyer with Photoshop)

Just a little update. A 2nd speaker has been added to the event.

Scott Fellman will be coming to the swap and will be hosting
"Aquascaping For The Aesthetically Challenged: The Live Show".

He will be working with actual live rock, a drill, PVC dowels, and other equipment to demonstrate the creation of a few different types of rockwork configurations. Scott has talked about aquascaping at many local and national aquarist meetings, and we will get the benefit of his experience "hands on." The demo will be in the main swapping area (Eric Borneman's talk will be separate in a more auditorium-like setting).

Can you define a "family" regarding admission? Is that per carload or do we need proof of relationship?
I would say a family is....uhhhmmmmm...your wife/husband and kids, or you and your brothers/sisters. The club is a non-profit organization and the swap is the main source of funding. I would hope a bunch of people wouldn't want to sneak in as a family to save a few bucks......but there won't be anyone at the door shaking you down and asking for ID. ;)

I would say a family is....uhhhmmmmm...your wife/husband and kids, or you and your brothers/sisters. The club is a non-profit organization and the swap is the main source of funding. I would hope a bunch of people wouldn't want to sneak in as a family to save a few bucks......but there won't be anyone at the door shaking you down and asking for ID. ;)

No no nothing like that. My brother is starting to get interested in the hobby but does not have a tank or anything yet. He mentioned he may want to go. That's all. Just curious. Not trying to rip anyone off.

Ohhh Cool ccCapt.
I'm going...
:}:}:}
Awesome! It's going to be a good time.
If your looking to pick up some corals, check out www.fragswapper.com. It's where ppl who have corals to sell for the swap list what they have. (Here's my list I have available.... http://www.fragswapper.com/trades.asp?SwapperKey=1273 )

No no nothing like that. My brother is starting to get interested in the hobby but does not have a tank or anything yet. He mentioned he may want to go. That's all. Just curious. Not trying to rip anyone off.
You and your brother can get in as a family. :)

The swap was great and there were lots of nice corals. I got alot of pics, but still have to put my stuff in my tank so until tomorrow, here's a few pics to hold you over.

HUB Center reef
hub-fts1_4-18-09.jpg

A few of the massive corals in the tank.
hub1_4-18-09.jpg

And just for Dustin..... ;)
bandit-pair1_4-18-09.jpg

Yep...Dustin read the thread in LiveAquaria's forum on RC correctly. ;)

Here's a few of the fish in the big reef.

hub-fish1_4-18-09.jpg

hub-fish2_4-18-09.jpg

hub-fish3_4-18-09.jpg

hub-fish4_4-18-09.jpg

hub-fish5_4-18-09.jpg

hub-fish6_4-18-09.jpg

im still curious how they got that bandit pair as a no picture sale because lieaquaria is always talking about how they put all their fish up on the site so everyone has a fair chance at purchasing them. awesome shots btw capt, i really dig the powder blue tang and the changing emp

I can't really tell the story on how PSU got the pair, but it is the 2nd pair they got. The 1st pair died. There is some aggression in the tank too. The naso tang picks on the smaller bandit. There are a few chunks taken out of it's fins and tail.

hub-fish-bandit_4-18-09.jpg

Also, the genicanthus angel was more expensive than the bandits, which I found shocking. The bandits are about 6" and FAT. The genicanthus is a little bigger.

I had a really nice talk with Ken Feldman too. He's the guy doing the protein skimmer tests. His next set of tests will involve the high end skimmers like the BubbleKing. BK was going to send him a skimmer to try for free, but when they saw his 1st test results published, they backed off. He thinks maybe they are afraid their $1,000 skimmer perfoms no better than a $200 skimmer. The university will be purchasing the skimmers for the test thru grants from alumni.

Back