need a better idea of what i'm doing!

scapegoat

Reefing newb
Howdy reef folks!

i'm not entirely sure where i am going with my potential salt tank and i need some assistance.

I've got about 3-6 months of planning to do.

I've got a 90gallon tank that is not drilled and obviously won't be. So i'll need an overflow box. I've got a 45gallon that i'll convert to a refugium. I'll be building a stand for this as a wall (and subsequently a bar area that would be ship wreck themed)

this is where things get confusing...

is this the sort of light i need?

4 Lamp T5HO Fluorescent Low Bay - 54 Watt - 120 Volt - Silver Reflector | Low Bay Lights - Warehouse-Lighting.com

i know for my planted tank it would be waaaaay overkill.

I also realize the light question depends on what i'm going to put in the tank, and i am planning on adding corals

top offs are done when needed correct? and water changes are done weekly? with a 90g i would be doing a 9-10 gallon water change on a weekly basis? I assume most people keep RO water in a tub or something, but you must have two correct? one to keep plain RO and one to make a salt water mix?

does anyone use dehumidifier water? I know i've read that it is pretty much RO water. It would be great to reuse the water evaporating from my tank...

I would love to have various inverts, crabs, shrimp, clams, etc... are these all coral friendly?

what about plants? kelp, etc...

anyone have any experience with wood in the tank? Going with the shipwreck bar theme, it would be cool to have a piece of "shipwreck" in the tank... perhaps just a single 4x4 untreated lumber... a reclaimed ship reef would look amazing i think

i'm sure i'll have a ton more questions...

I would probably stay away from a commercial lighting fixture for a reef setting. You xan get nice DIY retrofit kits from reefgeek and also individual reflectors for each bulb.

Dehumidifier water is NOT safe to use they pass the water over anx through all sorts of metals that a potentially dangerous to corals.

8-10 gallons a week would be a minimal water change but it would be better than nothing...20 would be a lot better.

And for gods sakes man, keep the ship out of the tank :mrgreen:

Howdy reef folks!

i'm not entirely sure where i am going with my potential salt tank and i need some assistance.

I've got about 3-6 months of planning to do.

I've got a 90gallon tank that is not drilled and obviously won't be. So i'll need an overflow box. I've got a 45gallon that i'll convert to a refugium. I'll be building a stand for this as a wall (and subsequently a bar area that would be ship wreck themed)

this is where things get confusing...

is this the sort of light i need?

4 Lamp T5HO Fluorescent Low Bay - 54 Watt - 120 Volt - Silver Reflector | Low Bay Lights - Warehouse-Lighting.com

For a reef tank id go 6 bulbs not 4, with that particular fixture...

i know for my planted tank it would be waaaaay overkill.

I also realize the light question depends on what i'm going to put in the tank, and i am planning on adding corals

top offs are done when needed correct? Yes, everyday and water changes are done weekly? i do mine every 3 weeks to a month. with a 90g i would be doing a 9-10 gallon water change on a weekly basis? 10% yes I assume most people keep RO water in a tub or something, but you must have two correct? some people do keep RO in drums, i keep mine in 5g buckets one to keep plain RO and one to make a salt water mix?

does anyone use dehumidifier water? no ive heard that the pipeing is made of copper and copper is deadly to inverts... I know i've read that it is pretty much RO water. It would be great to reuse the water evaporating from my tank...

I would love to have various inverts, crabs, shrimp, clams, etc... are these all coral friendly? mostly....depends on the species...be prepared to read ALOT

what about plants? kelp, etc... sure

anyone have any experience with wood in the tank? Going with the shipwreck bar theme, it would be cool to have a piece of "shipwreck" in the tank... perhaps just a single 4x4 untreated lumber... a reclaimed ship reef would look amazing i think

I wouldnt recomend it but im sure more ppl will chime in... GL and welcome to the site
i'm sure i'll have a ton more questions...

Also like Dana said, READ a lot! I highly recommend the book in my signature. Whn you think of a question make a thread about it. While you are waiting for replies check out the arti les section and the database, there is an Imperial Crap Ton of information in them.

I would probably stay away from a commercial lighting fixture for a reef setting. You xan get nice DIY retrofit kits from reefgeek and also individual reflectors for each bulb.

Dehumidifier water is NOT safe to use they pass the water over anx through all sorts of metals that a potentially dangerous to corals.

8-10 gallons a week would be a minimal water change but it would be better than nothing...20 would be a lot better.

And for gods sakes man, keep the ship out of the tank :mrgreen:

it wouldn't be a small fake ship lol. But more of a section of ship that has been retaken by the sea.

also, those retrofit kits look to be more expensive than the commercial light

Also like Dana said, READ a lot! I highly recommend the book in my signature. Whn you think of a question make a thread about it. While you are waiting for replies check out the arti les section and the database, there is an Imperial Crap Ton of information in them.
Tried that link and got a 404 message.

Welcome aboard...the guys have you covered. Check craigslist in your area for people selling their equipment/lights.

If you don't want to use a retrofit kit, thus fixture would be great for your tank. And allow you to keep any corals you wanted later on down the road Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 6X54 Watt, 48 inch

As for the wood, even if it's untreated I'd be weary of putting it in my tank. You never know what it could leach into your tank like pesticides or tree sap. And inverts/corals can be the most sensitive things to even the smallest amount of toxin.

Back