Need a little help,

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by yote, Feb 19, 2013.

1. yote

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Deciding if I want to run another operating.
    I'm trying to decide between Linux Fedora Fedora Project Homepage and Ubuntu Ubuntu online tour

I'll be running it on my laptop that I use for school and network analysis.
    Both are faster than IE, which I like. And both can run some of the Windows stuff, like word and some other applications.

So give your experiences running those OS's. What do you like and dislike?
    Suggest another one that I may be overlooking.
    I just don't care for Windows and it'd be fun to run an OS and not any anti-virus.:Cheers:

yote, Feb 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. yote

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

I use Ubuntu on 3 of my machines. LOVE IT. I also installed WINE so I can run some of the Windows stuff (hell, I got Photoshop and Dreamweaver running via WINE!) And yes....the fact that programs can NOT run in the backend is a plus. All our old run down laptops are converted to Ubuntu specifically for the kids' use since we don't have to worry about viruses and spyware. Plus their software center has a shit ton of free programs and apps that are comparable to Windows....in fact, more stuff, and all open source. Go for it! :D

I've used RedHat/Fedora, but that was years ago. We only do Ubuntu now.....hubby adds that Fedora and RedHat are too commercial. Stick to Ubuntu. Trust him..he's a LINUX FREAK. He's been into Linux stuff for at least 14 years (as long as I've known him). You can PM me if you have any questions :D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    wontonflip, Feb 19, 2013
    yote likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. yote

moncapitane

I prefer Ubuntu/debian over the Fedora/RHEL/Centos world. I am not a big fan of how the packaging system works in CentOS. I manage CentOS servers at work but run my own debian servers and run ubuntu on my home computer and laptop.

I love the ability to get free new versions of the software without spending >50 bucks to get the upgrade or a new version. Open Source for the win.

moncapitane, Feb 19, 2013
    yote likes this.
  4. yote

bjohanson1234 .........

There is a huge learning curve switching to Ubuntu, but, it will be a great opportunity for you. Installing is different that Windows, esspecially if the program isn't in the app center. Once you get the hang of it, it runs smooth.

bjohanson1234, Feb 19, 2013
    yote likes this.
  5. yote

motorcyclereefer I am Graffiti Petey

I like Win 3.1 :)

motorcyclereefer, Feb 19, 2013
  6. yote

So retro ;) You're way ahead of your time!

wontonflip, Feb 19, 2013
    yote likes this.
  7. yote

sen5241b

I've spent a lot of time over the last year evaluating Linux desktop distros, I cannot remember how many distros I've installed and used. I can tell you the absolute best choice is Linux Mint which is based Ubuntu. Mint is the easiest hands down. Once you have Mint installed you should probably run the cinnamon windowing system. If that is too slow then use Gnome classic. You can choose when you login.

sen5241b, Feb 20, 2013
    yote likes this.
  8. yote

Wow...never heard of that...even the hubby, who's hardcore Linux, hadn't heard of it. Looks interesting. Ubuntu's been good for us, so i doubt he'll change it anytime soon. But he changes things without me knowing anyway LOL I remember him using Slackware, also, once upon a time.

wontonflip, Feb 20, 2013
    yote likes this.
  9. yote

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I burned a boot disk for Mint yesterday. Just hadn't had time to install and set it up yet.
    Takes a bit longer when you partition the hard drive. And it's been a while since I've had that class so trying to take it slow so I don't mess up.
    I'm gonna do the install after I finish my finals for Security+ ( my cert exam ) and Comp 1.
    Then maybe my head will slow down enough to actually pay attention to what I'm doing.

I do appreciate the advice too.

yote, Feb 20, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question