need a pump recomedation

NewToThis

Reefing newb
Ok, well the pump that came with my tank (roughly 1300 gph off the top of my head??) is about to give out. it has been getting weaker and weaker. sometimes, it only runs for 10 second intervals. So, i figured it was about time to get a new pump.

Now, a few days ago some people on here suggested that the 1300 gph was not enough water movement for my tank, considering pressure lost through the bend and turns. So, what's a good pressure rating that I should look for, and does anyone have a specific recommendation?

For a return pump you want something that will "bare minimum" turn your tank over 10x in 1 hr....So if you've got a 110g x10= 1100gph..Then you take into account your "headloss"...I would at least go with a Mag18 pump. 1800gph. It'll end up being less than 1800gph...

Head Loss

You'd rather have a large pump and restrict its flow if necessary, than have a pump that just can't move enough water to keep your livestock happy. Buy a nice big pump the first time, rather than have to change it.

+1 to both PRC and BJ.

To try cleaning it out take the pump apart and wipe everything down, then place the pump in a mixture of 50% RO water and 50% white vinegar to have the pump running in that mixture for a day.

No matter how big of a return pump you get it will not be enough movement for your tank. You will need to supplement it with powerheads in your tank.

Thanks guys.

cleaning the pump is a good idea, let me try this!

I have a cut-off valve from the pump going to the DT, but I don't have one from the sup tank going to the pump.

Any quick and easy cheats to block the water flow out of the sup while i disconnect the pump?

All I can think of is go get a pipe plug for the size pipe you have. Something like this

The Pipe Plug - Mechanical Pressure Plugs

It is a rubber gasket with a screw and a couple plates. You tighten the screw to squish the rubber gasket and it seals the pipe. Do that from the inside of your sump. It will limit the amount of water that will spill. While you have your pump off, rework the plumbing to have a valve to shut off the water.

I believe that you can get them from Home Depot.

Back