Need advice about saltwater aquarium, NEW to saltwater

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by vdubbin95, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vdubbin95

vdubbin95

I am very interested in starting a saltwater tank. I ran across this add on Craigslist and I was wondering if it is worth the money. I also have heard mix reviews about what the price of starting and maintaining a tank is going to be. I asked a friend who has a Saltwater tank and he said that this set up is basically all i would need. I don't need to run a sump tank or a quarantine tank if i did not need to. If i choose to buy this set up, what else would I need for a start up? I live next to the ocean so I am able to get filters salt water, the tank is coming with a couple of live rocks and sand....
    And what do articles mean by a salt water tank is going to run you $50 a gallon. Is that for chemicals?
    Sorry about the questions, I just need to know before i drop the money and find out I am screwed because I thought it was a good deal.

Here is the link. Input please

Brand New Saltwater Aquarium/Fish Tank with T5 Light Setup!!!

vdubbin95, Mar 31, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. vdubbin95

justanotherfishhead Lisa

Welcome to the site. I think that's an okay deal, you might try to offer a little less. You will need to fill the tank roughly 1/4 to 1/3 the space of the tank with live rock. You can get mostly dry rock and a few live pieces and it will all be live eventually.
    I think they meant you can spend $50 a gallon for a brand new setup with the best reef capable equipment, but you can get started for less.
    I don't think you should use salt water straight from the ocean without treating it in some way, you would want to do more research on that.

justanotherfishhead, Mar 31, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. vdubbin95

Bifferwine I am a girl

Please don't double post.

Bifferwine, Mar 31, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question