Need advice everything is going crazy

sandman

Reefing newb
I have a 65 reef tank with a few fish. I had a tang that caught ick and I set up a quarantine tank but it was too late. Today it appears the my 2 clowns lightly have ick. My question is, would it be better to remove my corals from the 65 and just treat that tank for ick that may have fallen on rocks and sand or should I just remove the 2 clowns and goby to the quarantine tank?

By the way the water in the quarantine tank is slightly less salinity, my water all tested perfect accept alk was a little low.

I also have a zoo coral that looks like a foam string is balled up on it. I will pot a pic soon.

Any advice would be appreciated..

This is the "thing" in question. Toward the upper center.
Also how would you cure ick if it was in the sand or liverocks?

photo-12.jpg

Looks like a sponge growing through there, i would just remove it by hand.

Also you should never ever treat a display tank, even if you remove the corals. If you treat with copper, it will always always be in the sand and rock and you will never be able to keep inverts in there.

Personally, i would just let the clowns fight it off on their own and i wouldnt put another tang in your tank. Your tank is probably too small for one, causing him to be stressed and coming down with the ich

If you are going to treat for ich then you need to remove all your fish from the tank for at least two months while you treat them with either copper or hypo, and then you have to QT and treat every fish you put in the tank afterwards, otherwise you are just going to reintroduce ich.

Here is a much more complete source on how to deal with ich:
https://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-ich-do-do-t30950.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. The tang was doing fine for over a month and then all the sudden he just got it. All my water is tested weekly and it is always, more or less, good quality. The sponge like things was slimey and i think it came from the snail looking thing that is black and white, just to the right of sponge looking thing. I took both the sponge/slime and the snail looking thing off.

Temp has not really fluctuated more than a degree or 2. I have been feeding the fish with this Dr. G food mix with treatment.

water quality is not really indicative of the stress of your fish. Size of your tank is very important to tangs, they need lots of room to swim. Without it they slowly get very stress, which leaves them susceptible to disease.

And there are no foods that can treat ich, or any treatments for ich that are reef safe and kill every stage of the ich lifecycle.

I was told powder browns, which was the tang I had, are more prone to getting ich. Either way I'm down to 2 clowns and 2 goby's. Will the clowns be able to fight off ich on their own with a little warmer temperature and food? I really like the clowns, it's an orange and a black that are pretty much paired.

Yes, they should be fine, clowns are pretty tough. And i wouldnt put a powder brown in anything less than a 6 ft tank, well matured with a very knowledgeable reefer. They are extremely hard to keep, and whoever sold you that fish kinda doomed you and him.

If you are totally desperate to try another tang (which i dont recommend) i would go with a yellow, but he wont be able to live his entire life in your tank

I don't think I will be getting another tang anytime soon. My fiance loves tangs and had to have one. I knew these are some hard fish and ich shows pretty easy on them. Next time I get a tang will be when the tank is established.

I also removed that snail looking thing. It had a weird inside like where most would be snail it looked like a point. I removed it and all it's smlimy tube trail it left. The zoas didn't open for a day but today they were all opened back up.

In a tank that size with other fish, I would actually advise against a Kole Tang. I know several people (myself included) who have Kole's that are total assholes. I think in a tank that size, you'd be increasing the chances of that kind of aggression out of them

Tangs are prone to ich...I won't be keeping a tang in there anytime soon. When I'm ready it will be a yellow or blue small tang. Then will sell when he gets too big

In a tank that size with other fish, I would actually advise against a Kole Tang. I know several people (myself included) who have Kole's that are total assholes. I think in a tank that size, you'd be increasing the chances of that kind of aggression out of them

+1 north....mine is actually great with all the tankmates, except any fish w/o the swim bladders LOL He bullied my diamond watchman goby to death, and he chases my lawnmower blenny away from algae sheets.

Back