Need advice for setup a new aquarium.

Scorpio

Reefing newb
Dear seniors, This is my first thread in this web.

Want to setup a new saltwater aquarium with clown fish, damsels and soft corals/anemones and man made live rocks( live rocks/corals are banned in India under wildlife act). Please clear some of my points:

Size: 70 X 45 X 45 cm.

Light: Is T5 tubes will be sufficient for soft corals/anemones? If yes, how many 14 watt T5 will be required? Can I also use CFLs (27 watts)

Equipments: Which equipments are required to setup above mentioned aquarium?

Fish: Want to keep clown fish, damsels. Please suggest other hardy, small and anemone/coral safe fishes.

Invertebrates: Also want to keep a star fish and some shrimps, snails. Please suggest the right choice of hardy ones.

Also I want an ebook for reef aquarium. Any one please provide me the link.

Other suggestions/advice are most welcome.

Dear seniors, This is my first thread in this web.

Want to setup a new saltwater aquarium with clown fish, damsels and soft corals/anemones and man made live rocks( live rocks/corals are banned in India under wildlife act). Please clear some of my points:

Size: 70 X 45 X 45 cm.

Light: Is T5 tubes will be sufficient for soft corals/anemones? If yes, how many 14 watt T5 will be required? Can I also use CFLs (27 watts)

Personally I'd go with 6 or 8 T5's. I would not use CFLs. Anemones need LOTS of light, and require an established tank. They should not be introduced to a tank that's less than a year old.

Equipments: Which equipments are required to setup above mentioned aquarium?
Protein skimmer (reef octopus are excellent for starters), a sump tank (size depends on the space you have under the tank), return pump (size depends on size of sump tank, but generally 300-500gph is good), overflow box (800gph), and 1 to 2 powerheads that flow 400-600gph each, such as koralias, sicce voyagers, or maxi jets. Also, you will want 1lb to 2lbs of LIVE ROCK for biological filtration.

Fish: Want to keep clown fish, damsels. Please suggest other hardy, small and anemone/coral safe fishes.
I would pass on damsels, they are *very* aggressive and may kill other fish you put in the tank, especially in a small environment. A dwarf angelfish such as a coral beauty or flame angel would be a nice add. Midas, Starry and Lawnmower Blennys are also good, as well Yellow Watchmen and other small gobies, firefish and cardinals, for small easy to take care of fish.

Invertebrates: Also want to keep a star fish and some shrimps, snails. Please suggest the right choice of hardy ones.
Cleaner skunk shrimps and peppermint shrimps are the most hardy and beneficial. The skunk shrimps will be out in the open all the time, while the peppermints will hide all day, mostly coming out at night. The peppermints will also eat aiptasia, and possibly other things such as small feather dusters and worms.

Cerith and Trochus snails for glass and rock, nassarius snails for the sandbed.

As for starfish, they can be hard to keep and should only be added to an establish aquarium. (A year old or more). When adding to the tank, it's *critical* they are not exposed to air in the transfer. Keep them underwater at all times. Good species are linckia stars, brittle stars(stay away from the green ones), and fromia stars. Stay away from chocolate chip and african red knob stars, they will destroy your reef.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
A lot of thanks for reply Zissou.
I will not use any sump with this setup. Can I run smoothly without sump? Please clear my doubt.

Thanks ErinCahir.

Back