Need advice on buying new aquarium

bradleyheathhays

Reefing newb
I'm looking for a new regular sized 125 gal aquarium (72" x 18" x 24" tall) and since all aquariums look about the same to me I thought I'd write in to ask what I should be looking for design feature wise in this new aquarium. Which brands should I look for and which ones should I specifically avoid? What design features should I look for? I want a well built aquarium, but at the same time I'd like to do it as cheaply as possible.

Thanks

Look for a reef ready tank. It will save alot of headaches later. Typically go with a newer tank or know its background. Im sorry to say, there is nothing "cheap" thats going to last/or have the quality. Good luck

I like greatlakesaquarium.com They have all kinds of tanks and u order them how u want them. They even have rimless tanks and the ultra clear glass. If you get one with the overflows and returns you'll save money and headaches in the long one. Your tank itself is the most important purchase in my opinion the size determines everything! Remember the bigger the tank the more expensive every piece of equipment you buy will be! Good luck! I sure wish I spent more time looking before I purchased my tank!

I like greatlakesaquarium.com They have all kinds of tanks and u order them how u want them. They even have rimless tanks and the ultra clear glass. If you get one with the overflows and returns you'll save money and headaches in the long one. Your tank itself is the most important purchase in my opinion the size determines everything! Remember the bigger the tank the more expensive every piece of equipment you buy will be! Good luck! I sure wish I spent more time looking before I purchased my tank!

Nat is spot on, the bigger the tank the more live rock, the bigger the protein skimmer, the more salt and ro water needed and on and on it goes. I think 125 is the perfect size. I had a 125 fresh water years ago and will probably work up from a 55 to a 125 over the years.

Good luck and post some pictures as you go.

Back