need advice on new camera

lilmatty5dimes

Reef enthusiast
my wonderful daughter drooped our only camera so we've been without one for 6-7 months and figured the time to buy a new one would be around black friday. so i'm doing some research now to figure what i would want. heres 3 i'm looking at now.
canon eos rebel t3 $650
canon eos rebel t3i $800
nikon d5100 $730

any advice would be great thanks

Wow!

I went to Olympus' website, located a sweet 5 mp cam, remanufactured, and paid $65.

I get PHENOMENAL photos. Oh, yeah, I WAS a Nikon Photomic FTN owner for years....

Spend that money, spend that money.....

:D

It all depends on what path you want to go down, what you plan on using it for, how much you have for lenses, etc... I've been doing photography on the side for a while now and can help you out. Just PM me info on what you plan on shooting, how much you want to spend, and I'll see if I can help you out.

I currently shoot a Sony A580, only because I shoot a lot of sports and needed something with a very high FPS to capture the action shots.

But anyways, PM me and I'll help you out.

The cameras you are looking at are all relatively close in price. The best thing you can do, before deciding between the 2 is to hit a camera shop, or a Best Buy if they carry them both, and play with the ones you are considering. If it feels big and clumsy in your hands, try a different one. You want thew camera to feel right while holding and shooting.

You are also going to want to look into lenses. These cameras normally come just body alone, unless you buy into a package deal. In any event, you are going to want more than one lense, and they aren't cheap.

The cameras you are looking at are all relatively close in price. The best thing you can do, before deciding between the 2 is to hit a camera shop, or a Best Buy if they carry them both, and play with the ones you are considering. If it feels big and clumsy in your hands, try a different one. You want thew camera to feel right while holding and shooting.

You are also going to want to look into lenses. These cameras normally come just body alone, unless you buy into a package deal. In any event, you are going to want more than one lense, and they aren't cheap.

In all honesty, don't waste your money on the cheap package lenses, or the kit lenses. Save the $100 for the kit lens and put it towards something else. If you have a camera shop, I would recommend that over a best buy. bestbuy tends to only carry the lower end versions of only cannon and nikon. Don't forget, there's also pentax, sony, etc... I went with sony for fitting my needs. Always buy from B&H or Keh. Best prices, period. Although I think the owners of both are jewish so they are closed for jewish holidays and what not. So call/order accordingly.

But again, feel free to pm me and I'll help you out.

Thanks Ted, rnich, and fast. Fast what camera are you using? I went to best buy yesterday and looked. They didn't have the 5100 or t3i but played a lil with the d3100(love the red body).The salesperson said there isnt much difference between the 5100 and 3100(looking into that) He did tell me that the t3i is a lil more user friendly but not having a nice camera learning should be easy. I've got some more research to do.

I plan on taking photos of the kids playing since they're growing so fast. The tank(of course) and whatever crosses the the mark.

Thanks Ted, rnich, and fast. Fast what camera are you using? I went to best buy yesterday and looked. They didn't have the 5100 or t3i but played a lil with the d3100(love the red body).The salesperson said there isnt much difference between the 5100 and 3100(looking into that) He did tell me that the t3i is a lil more user friendly but not having a nice camera learning should be easy. I've got some more research to do.

I plan on taking photos of the kids playing since they're growing so fast. The tank(of course) and whatever crosses the the mark.

I shoot a Canon, always have. My mom loves her Nikon. I'd stay away from Pentex, I have heard nothing but bad reviews on them.

However, I am not really the one to ask. If you want the best advice on a camera, and how it functions, talk to Dennis. Just ignore his Nikon ramblings, LOL.

The bodies are very similar for both brands you looked at. All your looking for at this point is comfort, and how it feels. Secondly is going to be function-ability for what you want to use it for.

Last edited:
Thats what sucks right now. I loved my canon a612. but since i dont have any experience with dslr i guess i would be learning something new so either one would do. Does the lens switch with the canon like the nikon? The prices are from bj's wholesale. its a package deal so it comes with more than just the body. thanks for the advice fast

it seems they both come with the 18-55 and the 55-250 lens?
how big of a difference would the 2mp be between the two?

Last edited:
I have young kids at home as well so when it was time to move to dslr I decided buying everything new could be a costly mistake. I went with a Sony Alpha and have been very happy with the quality. They took over the minolta brand and kept the same lens mount system for the new digital line as they had for film. You can buy any older AF Minolta lenses at a deep discount on ebay or thrift shops. My camera and 6 lenses cost under $500. Just a thought

thanks. bowfront i'm still researching. i just want something i know i'll keep for a really long time. its a big toss up between the t3i and d5100.

Back