Need advice please!

Dont_shoW

Reefing newb
I am soon returning home after spending 3 months at my dads, I have a 45 gallon tank with a stand with a dual bio wheel filter, 200 watt heater, and thermometer. I plan to start a reef with maybe a pair of clowns and one small tang. I want to put in live rock and corals, but don't know what salinity to set water at, temperature, and other stuff like that. Thanks for helping!

Hey, welcome to Living Reefs. Glad you found the best site around! :) To answer your question, a 45 would be great for some clowns and a couple other small fish, but a tang really needs 6-8 feet of lateral swimming space. As far as temps, 76-82 is good and a specific gravity of 1.023-1.026. pH will be 7.9-8.2, dKh 9.0-12.0. Those can be fudged a little and opinions will vary, but stability is more important than the actual number.

+1 kbuser.......welcome to the site!

II'd ditch the biowheel, too. Those work best for freshwater. You can use them for saltwater, but they are more trouble than what it's worth. The live rock and sand are all the biological filter that you need. I'd get a couple of poweorheads, as well. You can keep the biowheel w/o the biowheel just to keep water churning.

Back