need advice plz

I have a 20g im thinking of starting up, i just need some advice on filters...i have a fluval 305 i used for a fish only aquarium but is no longer in use, is this to larger for a 20g? although there is a lever to adjust water flow, also i was lookin into building a sump for this 20g any and all help will be appreciated :D

if your going the sump route then i would ditch the filter and put a protein skimmer in your sump and that will be much better for your tank

First off,welcome to the site.
I'd stay away from running the canister filter,except for maybe using it for carbon or phosphate medias.
The sump would be good.It'll let you get the heater and skimmer out of the display.

Welcome to the sight. You CAN use the canister filter as long as you are religious about cleaning it thouroghly(my spelling sucks!) once a week. If you go with the sump its not necessary.

I suck

The school that I attended until I was in 3rd grade used Phonics and it has totally screwed me for life in the spelling department.

ok so ive been reading up and was wondering about the protein skimmer, oh im also gonna go with a sump, is it ok to put in a HOB skimmer instead of a submerible one into the sump and were exactly should i put it in the sump? (in the part were the water gets returned to the tank?)

You can use a HOB in a sump if it'll fit. Thats the nice thing is there arent any rules when it comes to that stuff. I will let you know now that you will have more options with a submersable. You want to put it where its not going to suck up sand(if you are running a fuge) as have it return to the sump before a bubble trap as not to send microbubbles back into the display tank.

Like Ryan said.You can go either way with the skimmer.I've personally got 2 skimmers hanging on the sides of my sump.But in-sump,HOB,or external,the choice is yours.Just dont skimp on the skimmer,IMO,its just as important as having enough light.

Thanks for all the info guys much appreciated, ive also got another questions about the sump(prob not the last either), i was gonna but about an inch of sand and some live rock, im gonna prob have one 10k light on here, is this enough or should i go more?

Whatever you put in your fuge is all dependent on what you would like to achieve out of it. for example you could use a 5in DSB (deep sand bed) for denitrification. If you were to just use liverock rubble and some macroalgae that would be good for some nutrient export and also culturing small crustaceans like copeopods and amphopods. Again there are a few different options as to what you use a fuge for.

I'd go with a DSB to help with nitrates,live rock rubble for the pods,and cheato for nutrient export.At least that what I'm planning on doing with my next set up.

+1 yote. Adding a refugium to your sump will help keep your parameters in excellent shape. My nitrates went from 20 to 0 when I added a DSB and chaeto to the sump. You can get an awesome light for your refuge @ home depot. It's made by lights of america 65w found in the security lighting area.

simple man this light your talking about can you specify because i actually work at home depot :) So your saying that i should go with a DSB and live rock with cheato?
By the way whats Cheato(algae)?

Cheato is a type of good algae.Its great at using up phosphates and nitrates.
And yeah,use a DSB along with some live rock in the fuge.That your getting the benefit of the nutrient export,denitrifaction,and a live food food source for your fish and corals.

Back