Need advice

TimL

Reefing newb
Hi my name is Tim and I am new to this forum!!

I have this what looks to me like a pulse coral. One day it looks good and the next not so good. We have noticed that there seems to be some kind of completely white crab that seems to move around on it. We were not sure if it was moving through the stems because it seems to bury itself in the coral stem. Then we noticed last night it hangs on to the branch and moves over to another stem by way of branches. then it seems to bury itself into that stem. It seems to move around the whole coral. Any ideas on what this is and if we need to try and remove it??

I took a picture last night of the crab, not the clearest, but maybe someone may have an idea. Thanks Tim

Attachments

• IMG_3348.jpg
    IMG_3348.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 227
I personally would get him out of your tank. Hitch hiker crabs tend to be predatory, and critters like to hang around their food source. I have never heard of a pulsing xenia to host any crabs. Even if he isn't eating it, he certainly seems to be ticking it off. If you have a sump, you could put him in there, either permanently or until you decide what to do with him.

+1 chichimom70
I have seen posts and videos of white crabs like that eating softies. There are some crabs that share a symbiotic relationship with some corals but I don't think that is one of them. I would not take a chance and get him out of the tank.

Back