Need an ID... some kind of anemone???

breebauer

Reefing newb
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this thread (if it's not, let me apologize ahead of time).

While I'm working on the ghetto tank, I bought a new friend for my tank. I have another question:

I bought this from my favorite LFS guy today. It's about 2 1/2 - 3" across. He's very knowledgeable, but as soon as I got into the car, I forgot everything he said. All I know is it was $10:

jan208033.jpg

All that I remember from the conversation was "Blah, blah blah, anemone blah, latin name, blah, you cab have that in your tank, blah, blah blah blah, TEN DOLLARS (:^:), blah, blah, mysis once in a while.

OK, sold!

Now I'm home, and I have no idea where to put this thing, or what it is.

Anyone have any idea on light/ flow, or anything else I need to know? I feel a little guilty, thanks!

It looks like a Sebae anemone but if it only cost $10 then it could be a condylactis.Its going to move where it wants to for right now.I hope this is a very mature system.If it is a sebae,sorry to say this but its going to wither away.They have abyssmal survival rate.

I have a white long tip condylactis and have had good look with it. Though it is very aggressive and has killed a perfectly live rosey minnow with its tentacles and ate it. I would think its all gravy.

I'm not sure if he gave me this one for $10 because it should be $10 or because he wanted to get rid if it, or because he was just trying to be nice.

For comparison: I bought this (unknown) anemone for $10, a nice head of torch coral for $10, 3 conchs (I think, forgot the name, though) for $10, and 6 neat hermits (not blue legs) for $5. So for $35 he gave me that, and then some freebies: 20+ heads of a pretty pink paly/zoa, three different loose mushrooms (1 green, 1 purple, 1 blue) a nice clump of green clove polyps (?), and a single hairy mushroom (I think) that's tealish and reddish.

I remember he said that this anemone was not very aggressive, could live with the lighting I have now, and wouldn't move around too much, but of course I forgot the name.

This particular guy knows I don't want to buy anything that I might kill (other people that work there don't seem to get that principle). So maybe he's overestimating my knowledge, or I'm still a sucker.

So, after all that, which is the easiest to care for, the condylactis? It looks like those have longer tentacles. Mine has real short ones...

I don't think it is a condi. they have much longer tenticles. My guess is Sebae. Pretty nonetheless. Good luck

-Doc

Well, if that's the case, it's going back to my friend at the pet store. I thought I asked all of the right questions this time, after my episode with the flowerpot, but apparently not.

He's had these same amemones in his store for a few months, because I remember when he got them in, and something that I learned from my last visit there was to not buy the new stuff.

I think my guy is overestimating my reefkeeping abilities.....

(And no, it's not Petco :mrgreen:)

Last edited:
Anemones are really hard to keep... I would go back to the store and ask again what kind it is to find out for sure. Then decide if you want to risk keeping it.

Can you get a picture from further away?

I have one that looks like that but has longer tenticles. anenomes are pretty hard to keep. You water parameters have to be really good and kept really good. They will definently find a spot they like. Mine moved alllll over the place the first month I had it. I put it on a rock farthest away from my metal halides. It moved into a little crevice completely out of the light. The next day it was on the other side of the tank, a week later back on the other side then a few days after that it found a spot about in the middle of my tank and has been there for about 8 months now. They are a nice addition to a established tank.

I think its a seba anemone too.
Bubble tips are the easiest anemones to keep,but there still an anemone and require a lot of light,and perfect water.
It is a great looking nem though and I hope it thrives for you.

Here's a pic from a little further away:

jan208029.jpg

I'll try to get back to the store this weekend to fnd the name of it.

Lesson of the week: when they tell you the latin name at the store, write it down. Especially if you live an hour away, and you're running out of brain cells like I am.....:question:

I think you're right. Heteractis does ring a bell.

Biff's right too, the Genus is capitalized, the species is not. I remembered something from a year of horticulture, at least. :D

It is kind of pretty, and since the ghetto tank is looking less ghetto by the day, I might move it over there in a few weeks. That tank is a little bigger and more established, and I'll be maintaining it from now on to make sure it doesn't get ghetto again. Also, I think it might have better light, but I'm not sure. (I'll have to look at the light again, I forgot what it was.)

Whatever it is, it moved, but only a little bit- off of the rock that I put it on, and then right back onto it again. So that's good, I guess.

As far as survival, if it's anybetter than the flowerpot (4 days :death:), that would be a plus, too.

it sounds like he cut you one hell of a deal on all those corals. I wish I had a lfs that good around here. the cheaper ones don't have much selection, and the one's with a good selection are higher than hell.

it sounds like he cut you one hell of a deal on all those corals. I wish I had a lfs that good around here. the cheaper ones don't have much selection, and the one's with a good selection are higher than hell.

Funny you said that; my bf thinks I'm having an affair with the guy at the fish store (which I might have to think about doing since I'm running out of money for this stuff...:nono:)

I never know if I'm getting a good deal or not until after I buy it and go home and look at prices online. Plus, I'm in New York, on the east end of Long Island, so everything's expensive. The seabae anemones look like they're going for around $30 online. So, $10, is definately a good deal.

It looks like I get good deals from this one guy (I think he might be the owner) but I never know when he's there. He's great- personable, knowledgeable, and helpful, but the other 2 guys that work there are the opposite, but I still get reasonable prices (although not as good).

So when I do go there, and my favorite guy isn't there, I just get food or something like that. And forget about calling there, they never answer the phone. They're about an hour drive away from me, and have a really good reputation as the 'only' place to buy SW livestock, so I like them.

I want to start a thread comparing the best deals we've gotten from our LFS, and a seperate one for 'freebies', just so everyone can compare... I'm curious, now.....

you guys!!...hhehhe..defenetly no condy...sebae..im in the bottom of this thread...what i can say is that i see condys everyday...defenetly yours is not a condy..dont forget good ligthing and feed it twice a week with shrimp...very nice anemone you have there

Back