Need an ID

Bebop

Reefing newb
I've got this weird ballooning slug like thing. I've only found two of them so far, and they only seem to be out at night. The way they move is they balloon this appendage and use it to crawl around the glass. Any idea what it is? Pictures to follow.

7117122429_e7b4dac161_b.jpg

7117122429_e7b4dac161_b.jpg

6971045566_4d1d90ecc1_b.jpg

6971044416_8cf7a02a8c_b.jpg

It is a flatworm indeed. They are pests. Luckily they are easy to get rid of. You can buy a medication called Flatworm Exit at your LFS or online. Follow the directions on the box; do a large water change after treating it. Flatworms are poisonous, so treating sooner is better than later and waiting til they get to epidemic proportions.

Yep, I found a good picture the looks just like them.

Though, I've been reading conflicting things on the internet some sites say they're good, some say they're bad, others say only certain types are bad. Any clarification or should I just nuke 'em to be on the safe side?

Last edited:
+1 to the ladies...they aren't really "Bad", but they multiply quickly and they are toxic...so eventually they'll grow to a large number and smother out your corals, and can also release their toxins which could also poison your tank. So it's best to get rid of them while you only have a few. You can also siphon them out with a turkey baster as you find them.

Many types of Flatworms are harmless but I wood not take a chance. I've used FlatwormXit and it worked well but do a 50% change out and you may wish to follow with another change out a day later.

Back