Need BTA help! some wierd stuff happenin

Mattyice008

Reefing newb
Alright, so I've had a BTA for about 2 months now..I got it from a friend whos lights ended up not being enough for it. It's been doing great, but I recently went out of town for about 10 days and trusted my neighbors to watch the tank. The anemone was still alive, but about 75% of the tentacles were shriveled up, and its base(like the part it uses to attach to the rock) was more of a yellow tint. I also noticed that my small saddleback clownfish has been going in it and reacking havoc. So anyway, overnight, it looks like the anemone split, and now theres a small anemone about an inch to the right of the original one. Do anemones look bad before they split? Or is this about a survival thing, and it split for the benefit of itself?

The only thing wrong with the water when I got home was that the nitrates were kinda high. like around 20-30. But I got those back to 0

If its split then leave the 3 pieces alone and see how they respond after a week. If they start turning to mush then pull it out . Pictures ??

2012-07-12_15-11-06_396.jpg

2012-07-12_15-11-14_928.jpg

2012-07-12_15-11-16_424.jpg

Matty, what kind of lighting do you have for it? Anemones can split when they are stressed, which is what I am guessing is happening to yours. I'm wondering what the source of stress is for it. How many days did it take you to get the water back to 0 nitrates / how big of a water change did you do?

Back