Need Help*125 gallon filter, newbe here

cgarza

Reefing newb
Ok so I've been thinking, I was going to use a 60 hex for my new saltwater tank but bigger is better. what should I use for a filter? I was told to buy a plastic container and use that with live rock for my filter. how will take make the water clean. plase help with any info. i will only have fish and rocks.

Last edited:
You might be best suited to pick up a copy of Michael Paletta's The New Marine Aquarium. It is an excellent beginner book and will give you the background you seem to need.

A protein skimmer is a must. I don't know what he was talking about, the container thing, but putting the live rocks in your display tank is the way to go. Maybe he was talking about a refugium? You can add a sump or refugium too, but definitely invest in a good protein skimmer.

i have 125 gallon not reef ready with remora pro skimmer 180 pounds of live rock, hang on filter for phosban socks, cannister filter full of nothing but seachem matrix for bio filter, and a hang of fuge i got of ebay from usa refugium ebay store its about 4 gallon hang on full of chaeto and 4inch sand bed and 2 red mangroves. My water is usually in specs of were they should be except phosphates but been using phosban phosphate remover. hang on fuges is nice my tank looks like it is infested with isopods, amphipods, and copepods seriously six line wrasse eats very well.

Thats what I went to have. I want some live rock,sand with fish only. I'm going to go and see someones tank this week and he built a sump tank and said it was easy. do you have any pictures of your 125 so I can see? I see used wet/dry filter for 150 or so with the pump on craigslist. here is my tank just sitting here ready to be used. I'm going to fill it with ro water this week.

125.jpg

Back