Need help asap!

Fastlight

Semper FI
Okay so i got some live rock today. I was told i could have his live sand for free well come to find out it is real fine crushed coral. Should I use it. He said it was just as good as live sand(there were a ton of critters in there) and would hold my ph better. So should I use it??? Also he said the sand sifter fish like gobies and blennys would have no problem with this stuff either. Please tell me if i should use this in my display???? I know yote said not in the sump

You can use it in the display.But I wouldnt.Crushed coral tends to cause nitrate problems in reef tanks.
Aragonite sand is made out of the exact same stuff as the crushed coral.The only difference,is a parrot fish ate some live rock and crapped out the sand.It would take your PH dropping to fatal levels before ANY type of substrate will dissolve enough to stablize it.

Crush coral will lose its buffering capacity.Use a cup or two is okay but personally,I would never use all crush coral.

I seen gobies gills get damage from large aragonite,I'm sure cc will be just as bad or worst.

4 for no right here. I used to have crushed coral in my 55. It is not a good substrate, and it is not good for burrowing animals. It will make your nitrates rise and will look like crap.

Okay so im moving the crushed coral..sifting threw it and there is the worm like thing red with little white stickers on its side crawling...good 2 in . Ive lost the sight to wear you can id all this stuff anyone know if its good or bad? throw it in the main tank will it live in live rock? let her go?

Drop that puppy in there with the rock.Its a bristle worm and they are great to have in there.
Unless of course its a fire worm.But that would be a long shot.

Last edited:
Back